Questions on getting a bachelors and R-ATP finished when I turn 21

Hey there, I am currently planning my course to become an airline pilot. I want to give a brief breakdown of it incase there are any blocks in the way of this happening that I don’t see but also to give context to my questions. Skip to the questions if you want.

I am 15 and a sophomore in highschool, I attend school in Florida.

To become a pilot I am going to get my AA degree fully finished during highschool (or just a single semester after highschool to finish overflow classes) and I will do my written exams and PPL training during high school (and possible unfinished progress right after highschool).
After those, I will transfer to Liberty University either online or in person and complete a bachelors there for 2 years while getting the rest of my pilot training through their program.
After finishing their bachelors, I will be 19 or 20 and will finish my 1000 hours on the R-ATP I now have access to. Given all this, I think I can get a bachelor’s and finish 1000 hours just in time to turn 21 years old and be a full pilot. I think all this will be a tight squeeze but I think I can make it work

My question is if I finished my R-ATP at 21, will airlines even want me? I know I would go to a regional but I am wondering if they even want R-ATP pilots or if I would be void of an airline job until I eventually gather 1500 hours.

My second question is, will it truly pay off to push a little harder and keep myself busy the next few years to finish my R-ATP when I turn 21 (July of 2028) in your opinions?

And third is, does my plan seem plausible? Are there any things I am missing out? And is this wise to do?

The reason I wanted to go this way is because I get to get into airline at 21 which is as early as possible. To start my career off earlier as well as have a bachelors and still experience college.

Elias,

On of my best friends did something similar. Super smart guy and very mature. Finished college at 21 with a R-ATP and 4.0 GPA, so it’s doable but definitely requires organization & drive.

As for a R-ATP being competitive in 5-6 years with the airlines, I cannot tell you. This industry is historically volatile and anyone that makes you a promise is doing you a disservice. But your goals are productive and will set you up for the best case scenario.

Even if you have a delay (like many of us do) networking & persevering adversity goes a long way in becoming a mature and successful adult.

Good luck,
Chris F

Elias,

While your plan is possible, I would caution you that becoming an airline pilot is not a race.

While I understand and appreciate your desire to accomplish your goal asap, the requirements (1500hrs, degree, etc) are not simply boxes to check. They are there for you to gain knowledge and experience. Right now there’s a greatest pilot shortage in history so as long as you meet the R-ATP mins (and have no blemishes) you will get hired. Will the situation be the same in 6yrs? Probably but there are zero guarantees. What I would be more concerned with is your apparent need to win some kind of perceived race. Neither flight schools nor the airlines want pilots who are simply interested in checking boxes and moving forward as fast as possible. They want skilled, experienced and safe pilots and if/when they smell it on you during an interview it could def result in a thumbs down. Right now you need to focus on doing well in HS, then college, then your flight school, however long that takes is however long it takes.

Adam

Thanks for the response Adam. I do want to say, the reason I came up with this route is because the other route, where at 23 I become a pilot, it leaves me with alot of spare time where I would already have hit 1500 hours and would not need to worry about college, after this I am then working a a pilot job even after my hours. Doing it the longer way feels like in that extra time, I have no more goals to reach and I would be flying just to pass time and keep myself up to date for possibly months or maybe even a year. I dont see it as a checklist but I see it as a way to keep myself busy all the way until I become an airline pilot to not lose motivation.
Given that context please still honestly answer as I am more than open to feedback or even the same response, is this reasonable or wise?

Thank you so much in the first place for the response, I thought you made a very good point though. Upon further thinking, I may for this slightly longer route of becoming an airline pilot at 23, go to a part 61 school so it is more spaced out and I dont have so much empty time, this way I can also work a job and do online college at the same time possibly. Just exploring routes to take

Elias, I’m not saying you have to twidle your thumbs and drag things out but the above are your words. Why make it a “tight squeeze” at all? Again it’s not about checking boxes. You plan on getting your 2yr while still in HS. Why? College can be a very pleasant experience on many levels, for some people its the best of their lives but you’re dismissing the whole thing so you can get to the finish line faster. Same with the R-ATP. Sure it’s great to get yours at 1,000 but 1500 would give you 50% more time and experience but again your #1 priority is to hit that buzzer.

All I’m saying is you’re 15. Take a breath, relax, enjoy and do well in HS and see how this all unfolds for you. You don’t even mention any flight experience? If you don’t have any how can you possibly know for certain this is what you want to do or have any aptitude for it?

Adam