Do You Have To Be 23 To Get R-ATP Or ATP?

Hey everyone,

I am on track to earning my commercial and instrument by the end of 2024 maybe half of 2025. I am 20 years old and just read that unless I go to an aviation college and get an aviation degree, I will not be allowed to earn my ATP certificate until I am 23 years old even if I earn my commercial certificate, start racking up hours, and meet all the requirements.

To be honest, this is kind of a blow to me because I was really expecting to start applying to the airlines at 22 years old or even before that if I have all my ratings including my ATP. Especially since I signed up for a fast-track course.

Does anybody know if there is any way around this so I can start my career sooner than 23 and get my ATP? Is the only option to go to an aviation college and get an aviation degree that would offer a restricted ATP certificate through an approved FAA college through the approved institutions list?

Thanks for the help!

Antoni,

I don’t know what you “just read” but either it or your understanding of it is incorrect.

The college requirements give you a reduction in required flight hours to get your R-ATP but if you meet all the aeronautical experience of a full ATP, you can get your R-ATP at 21.

After that whether you ever make it to a Major with no degree is questionable.

Adam