Recommended flight schools for getting started

I know this blog is with the ATP program, but would any of you pilots recommend a different program for getting started on becoming a commercial airline pilot?

Adam,

As you point out this is ATPs forum. Myself and the other mentors are all successful grads of ATP who went on to become airline pilots. We were all at some point where you are, trying to decide which school is best. After doing our research we decided on ATP. They’ve been in business for over 35 yrs and have places thousands of pilots with the airlines and have been doing so long before there ever was a pilot shortage. ATP has a long proven track record and outstanding reputation in the industry. So I guess my question for you is why would we recommend somewhere else after making our own decision to train with ATP and having it work out really well?

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

I always recommend the school that’s best for each individual. Everyone needs to look at the facts and decide which option is best for them. Without knowing much about you or which types of schools you’re considering it’s hard to point you in the right direction.

Find a school that fits within your personal, financial, and academic situation. There’s a plethora of schools out there, ranging from mom and pop schools, aviation colleges, community colleges, cadet programs, and of course ATP, all of which provide flight training towards earning the same ratings under a part 61 or 141 syllabus.

It’s going to take some research on your part to narrow down which school, or which style of school, best suits your situation.

Tory

Adam,

I started out on a different path. I got my private at a local school, it was a disaster. The school was rather small, only had a few airplanes and just a few instructors. The program took way longer than they said it would and cost significantly more. After talking with other people from other local schools, the stories were all similar.

I had a cousin who had gone to ATP, he highly recommended the program and I went to ATP based on his advice and my own research. The rest as they say is history…

Chris

1 Like