Restricted ATP

I have a few questions about the restricted ATP license, I have heard that you need a 4 year aviation degree but I’m not sure if that is correct. Once I finish my bachelors degree I will be 20 and once I finish ATP and Flight instructing I will be around 22. So would I continue gaining experience or get a restricted 1500hr ATP? I have also heard that you can get the restricted ATP at 21 with 1500hrs? If you guys could clear this up that would be helpful as always, again any response is helpful.
-Marcus

Marcus,

To get the restricted ATP at 1,000 hours, you must not just have an aviation degree, you need to do your flight training at a FAA approved college and do your flight training with them. Honestly though, this “value” is way over stated. These programs typically take so long and cost so much more that they are not worth it in the end and rarely save on time.

Yes, you can a restricted ATP at age 21 if you have 1,500 hours and meet the other criteria specified by the FAA.

Chris

Thank You for clearing that up.
-Marcus

Marcus,

The short answer is the R-ATP allows you to fly for an airline when you don’t meet certain requirements for a full ATP. Age is a big one. When I was at a Regional years ago there was a young outstanding pilot in my newhire class. Two years later everyone from our class was upgrading and I wondered where why he wasn’t? Turned out he wasn’t 23 yet and couldn’t hold a full ATP (being 42 I had zero compassion for him :wink: ).

Adam

So are you saying I shouldn’t get a restricted ATP? I would be very close to turning 23 by the time I’m done flight instructing. Also if you turn 23 while at the airlines do you transfer right over to a non-restricted ATP or do you have to do the exam again?
-Marcus

Marcus,

I’m not saying that at all. You now cannot fly for an airline without an ATP. When this became a regulation it put a great strain on the airlines as there were many young pilots who were now unhireable so the FAA made a carve out saying you could get an R-ATP at 21 that would become unrestricted at 23. There is no further testing required. It’s simply administrative.

Adam

1 Like

Marcus,

If you will be turning 23 by the time you have reached 1500 hours I don’t see this being an issue. Let’s say you are hired at a regional before turning 23. After passing your checkride you would receive a R-ATP. Once you turn 23 the restriction is removed.

Tory