Road block after road block

I am trying to start my pilot training but am having issues and would like guidance if possible. When applying for my class 1 I was honest and documented that I received a possession of marijuana charge in 2013. I received a year of probation and have been cleared of all charges. I was a good boy and did everything right from that moment forward. Haven’t had a single interaction with the law since then. Everything with my physical was good but the FAA came back saying due to my charge that I needed to jump thru a few hoops for them to consider my application. I gave them all kinds of documentation pertaining to the details surrounding my offense. After that they came back saying (in short), “thanks for sending us all that, but it isn’t sufficient for us to make a decision at this time”. They gave the additional request that I have a substance abuse evaluation. I went back to my AME and (after taking my $150) told me he cannot perform this evaluation due to the fact that he is not part of the H.I.M.S. program. Unfortunately there are only 3 in the great state of Texas. One in Tomball (right down the street) and 2 in Galveston (not right down the street). So I call the Dr. in Tomball, find out I have to have my medical records sent to them for them to set the appointment, do that, then I get a call back from the Dr’s nurse stating that due to my record (1 drug charge and a bunch of speeding tickets from when I was younger, the youngest ticket over 6 years old), the Dr. has refused to see me. After all this effort, all the phone calls, Dr. appointments, driving around, sending faxes taking time off and everything. It seems that I am not qualified to become a pilot. I am at a fork in the road. I want to become a pilot more than anything in this world but it doesn’t seem possible any more. I’m looking for advice. Is my peppered past too dark to where I can’t do this? Or is there another way? Please help!

Keith,

I think the FAA has answered this question for you. The doctor that ty contacted probably knows that you will not be accepted by the FAA. You could try another doctor, but I bet the result would be the same.

Even if you could somehow obtain a first class medical certificate, I do not think that any airline would be willing to hire you.

Chris

Chris,
Thank you for your response. I wish that the FAA would have been more forward and transparent with this process. I’ve dedicated countless hours to jumping through their hoops. If they had just told me from the get go I would have respect for that. Well my dreams have been crushed. Thank you for your time.

Keith,

I think they were pretty transparent. They told you “no, but you can appeal”, then the appeals doctor reviewed your paperwork and said “no” as well. It is not the FAA’s job to tell you if the airlines would hire you or not. I wouldn’t describe these as roadblocks, they are consequences.

Chris

Keith,

While I understand your frustration, you need to understand (which by now I think you are realizing) that the FAA takes a very dim view of drug and/or alcohol issues. I also would be remiss if I didn’t mention your “tone” and the “attitude” of your post. I don’t know if you expressed any of that to any of the AMEs or the FAA but if you did I’m certain that didn’t help your case. They want to hear some remorse.

Adam