Scenario Question

Hi everyone, quick question for you:

Let’s say we have a commercial flight for hire coming up, but our Pitot/Static inspection expired last month. Legally, we are still able to make this flight as long as it is VFR.

The question is, how long can you continue to fly with this inspection not up to date? Furthermore, if we are able to fly is there a regulation that prevents future flying without immediate inspection?

Bailey,

FAR 91.411 states: “No person may operate an airplane in controlled airspace under IFR unless…”. Now when you say Commercial, I assume you’re talking about GA type airplanes doing scenic tours etc. and you’d be correct you could still operate.

Now if you’re asking about commercial airline aircraft then the answer is no. ALL airline flights operate under IFR rules (since all the as airspace above FL180 is controlled) regardless of weather.

Adam

Thanks Adam.

Yes, I was referring to GA type aircraft. Following that though, is there such regulation that states a specified time frame of needing this inspection to be completed, or in such scenario can you keep on flying VFR and not worry about the inspection?

Bailey,

You are asking legal-type questions that we are not able to answer. It would be best if you communicated with an aviation attorney or your local FSDO.

I personally would want that inspection done regardless of IFR or VFR, but that is just me…

Chris

Bailey,

FAR says 2 years but personally I’d get that taken care of. Something goes wrong I’d LOVE to be the lawyer asking the question “so you didn’t think it was a good idea to have functional instruments in a aircraft you’re using commercially?”.

Adam

1 Like