SkyWest Base Question

Hello folks, I know there are a few skywest pilots on here and I’d like to ask which aircraft you believe would get me a Houston base the quickest (ERJ or CRJ). I know they just got ERJs running out of IAH now, but still wonder if the CRJ would get me there quicker. Also wondering how long you think it would take out of training to obtain (if not awarded out of training). Thanks! (I’ve got an interview in less than a week)!!!

1 Like

Like you mentioned it’s a new base for the ERJ so there’s not a great baseline to go off of. That being said currently it’s a pretty Junior base for both airplanes.
For junior bases you can usually transfer into them within a couple months.

Disclaimer things change all the time so this might be totally different in three or six months.

Chris F

Thanks for that, hopefully I’m flying with you all soon!

Hey Derek, currently at Southwest but used to fly and recruit for SkyWest. One VERY useful tool for base/equipment questions is their Careers website. It’s also updated very regularly. Select “Pilot Jobs” and then “Seniority” tab and you can see the date of hire of the most JUNIOR person in each seat, at each base, on each airplane. I’ll attach photos below.

For example with IAH, on the CRJ the most junior FO was hired 6/1/21 while on the ERJ the most junior FO was hired 8/31/21. Almost a full 3 month difference. In the grand scheme that isn’t much - but the ERJ is just slightly more junior. Hope this helps!

The ERJ is a little more shiny too :smirk: but thanks for that info, definitely helps!

1 Like

Derek,

Beware of “shinny jet syndrome”, it is contagious and leads one to not make the best decisions :wink:

Chris

2 Likes

A great old pilot once told me “I’ve flown everything from a Dash to a 74 and everything in between. In the end I’ve concluded as long as I’m getting paid I’m happy. If they paid me $350hr to fly a 172 I’d be good with that” :grinning:

Adam

3 Likes

Derek,
If I were you, I’d take the first available class date regardless of which aircraft it is. If they are running at the same month, then sure pick which one intrigues you more but don’t spend too much time scratching your head over it. I’m sure you will make it to Houston eventually but so much can change between now and then, it’s hard to give you and concrete answer.
-Hannah

2 Likes

Thanks! I definitely want to try and get the earliest class date. I have had a few people where I work now get class dates which go all the way to May. My contract currently ends in January so that would give me a few months at home to get my instrument skills back up to par. Oh and ya I don’t actually care which aircraft I fly, similar to what Adam said I’d fly a cardboard box with wings if someone was willing to pay me good money… :joy:

1 Like

Little update, I interviewed (went very well) got the job and my class date is set for April 19 CRJ. This is great for me because I’ll have ATP minimums at the beginning of February and this will give me time to study for the written and sharpen up on IFR stuff.

2 Likes

Derek,

That’s really a GREAT update! Much congrats! I’m sure you’ll do great in training!

Very Cool!

Adam

1 Like

Sounds like everything is falling into place for you Derek! Studying for your written and IFR knowledge is a good idea, but do yourself a favor and add a proper celebration to your “To-Do” list! :smirk::wink:

Tory

Derek,

Congratulations! Great news!

Chris

Thank you all for the encouraging words, see you all in the Flight Levels! :wink:

1 Like

Derek,
Congratulations! This is such great news! Welcome to the Skywest family!
-Hannah

1 Like