Sleep Apnea

I have a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. Does anyone know what the AME looks for in the CPAP reports to get approved on your medical exam?

James,

I would either consult an AME or contact AMAS. Every case is different.

Adam

1 Like

James,

I met an airline who uses a CRAP machine every night and said it was FAA approved, so it must be possible. I agree with Adam’s advice.

Chris

1 Like

I’ve seen a few questions on Sleep Apnea and got this from the RTAG Nation on Facebook. It appears that if you’ve got OSA and are using your machine as directed, you can still get your Medical Certificate, and as Chris said, he’s met a pilot who uses a CPAP, but I saw that ATP requires First Class Medical with no limitations - would having to use a CPAP mean you couldn’t enroll with ATP?
Probably a question for an AME, but I thought Admissions might know as well

-Steve

(Note: I posted a question in the RTAG Nation on FB regarding whether or not the certificate comes with limitations or not but haven’t received an answer yet.)

Update: This is the answer I received, would this prevent me from enrolling at ATP?
“The limitation is “not valid for any class after
” a date one year from the exam date. Meaning it doesn’t downgrade to second or third class privileges like a normal Class 1 would”

Stephen,

The short answer is yes, you could still enroll and train with ATP because your FAA Medical wouldnt have a limitation on it. A limitation limits the type of flying you can perform or puts certain conditions on it (ie, corrective lens required). Having Sleep Apnea requires a Special Issuance as you have a condition that doesn’t meet the FAA requirements. If however they are satisfied by your treating physician your condition is controlled they will issue your a First Class Medical and it will have no limitations. You’ll simply be required to have your Dr provide your records periodically.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification - you guys are awesome - sorry for shotgunning questions at you guys all day :rofl:

Glad to see this is not an immediate NO. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine and came across some other information that concerned me. It does sound like I will need to do some additional due diligence to be sure it does not become a roadblock.

1 Like