Social Background Checks

Hi,

I am a 17 year old student whose dream has always been to become a pilot. I am an international student currently enrolled in an U.S. high school. One year ago I had my emails hacked and the hacker made several Twitter accounts and posted some weird “k*nky” stuff, I was able to regain access to the accounts and I removed my emails from them, changed the usernames to something like “jbghbdg” (just random letters), and for some of the accounts I even changed the country and I removed all the posts which the hacker made.

Now, I am scared that these tweets will come up in a social media background check which will disqualify me from becoming a pilot. Will the employers only find my “main” social media account (which is clean) or can they in any possible way find the other account whose email, username, and content I have removed? And are the airline recruiters going to care about this, is it a minor problem or a major one?

I really hope I was clear enough, and I would be really grateful if I got an answer.

Thank You.

Charlie,

You’re 17 which means you’ve got quite a few years before anyone will be doing any checks on you. Keep your nose clean and you should be fine but if it happens again (and again) your story will become far less plausible.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the response!

Do you think airlines will be doing that kind of deep research since those accounts are no longer related to my name or email address? The accounts posts have all been deleted and the accounts have been shut down for 5 months now. I also want to add that I will do the TSA background check for Non-U.S. citizens in a few weeks. Is this something that I should be worried about?

Charlie

Charlie,

Regarding your background check again I wouldn’t worry.

You should know to work as an airline pilot in the US (if that’s your goal) you will need to be a citizen or have Permanent Resident status.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank for the response, it made me much more relieved!

Best,
Charlie