Start ATP Now Or Wait for propel

Hi,

I’m 23 and just graduated college last May with a bachelors in information systems. I worked for an airline in college, and then got offered full time after graduating (same one my dad is a pilot at). I’m 15 months away from being eligible for their qualified pilot job offer pilot program. That will get me to 3 years with the company, and I need to get my PPL in that time frame. This is the airline I ultimately want to get to after regionals.

On the other hand, I really want to start now… Is it wise to wait and get in the program, or just start now and hopefully make it back one day? Do connections help when applying to a major airline? I’ve made some good connections already with pilot hiring/pilot selection at the major airline I want to get back to.

Thanks in advance for advice,
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I am not totally familiar with Delta’s Propel program, but I looked at it and it says that employees are eligible to apply for the program, it does not say that everybody will be able to get into it.

I personally would start your training as soon as possible, the best way to be a pilot is to be one, not sitting around waiting to start some program.

Connections absolutely do help with the majors, that is largely how I got my job at Continental.

Chris

Jimmy,

Personally I wouldn’t wait. Sooner is always better as I’m sure your father can attest to. Further if your father is a pilot there (and isn’t someone people dislike) you’ll have all the connections you need.

Adam

Delta Propel came to my school a couple of months ago and gave a presentation about the program. Delta Propel only takes juniors, seniors, and student CFI’s at their partner schools. Also, only students that are enrolled in a degree program that is eligible for a R-ATP are qualified for the program. I would do some fact checking behind me becasue as I said its been a couple months so I might have missed something.

Honestly, with the connections that you have, I feel that you can get a job with them without you having to be in the program. As Adam said, “The sooner the better.” Congrats on getting your degree.

Employees with a degree from any US accredited college qualify.

Tory

Jimmy,

The Propel Program only guarantees you an interview with Delta. It doesn’t guarantee you a position. Connections at Delta will help. Internal and external recommendations increase your chances of getting an interview.

If you were eligible for the Propel Program now, I’d say do that. Since you’re 15 months from being eligible, with no guarantee of even being admitted into the program, you could be getting close to 1500 hours in the next 15 months if you get a move on.

Keep your connections close. You’ll be glad you did when it comes time to apply.

Tory

Oops :grimacing:. Thanks for the correction!

1 Like

Thank you all for your response. I’ve decided to take the leap and start ATP in 6 weeks. I’m so excited, thanks again!

1 Like

Jimmy,

Fantastic! Please keep us up to date as you go through the program.

Chris