Starting ATP in August at Austin

I am starting at ATP in August, I hope. I was supposed to start back in June, but my medical got delayed because they had to send it off to the FAA. I have been told though that it is not something that they will ground me over. I’m hoping that it will be back soon so I will be able to start in August. In the meantime, I’ve gotten my Private Written out of the way. Does anyone have any tips or advice for when I get to start ATP? During the pandemic, I’ve had countless number of people trying to discourage me from going to ATP. Saying that the airlines wont be back to what it once was for 3-5 years. I figure it will take me at least two and a half years for me to go through all the training and get enough hours. I was wondering what y’all thought about the recovery of the airlines, and if what I am thinking is logical.

Tanner,

There have been a number of threads on the subject but let’s go with what “people are telling you”. If the recovery takes 3-5yrs and you’re ready in 2.5 you’ll be ready when the industry is. If the experts are wrong (and frankly how can anyone predict a recovery when we don’t have an end yet?) and it happens sooner you’ll be ready sooner. It’s ALWAYS better to be on the front side of the wave then the back since everything we do is based on seniority. Those that are ready will literally be hundreds of seniority numbers ahead of those at the back end. That means upgrades, airplanes, salaries, etc etc.

Stick with your plan.

Adam

1 Like

Tanner,

I second what Adam said. The airlines will begin hiring at some point and when they do you’re going to want to be ready.

This is what I recommend doing to prepare:
https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-does-an-atp-student-need-to-do-to-be-successful/10421/5

Tory

Tanner,

With starting in August, you should have enough time to get at least one more written exam out of the way.

Nobody really knows when the airlines will be back to 100%, but when they are and start hiring again, people like you who train now will be the most qualified and will be the first to be hired.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Tanner, I’m considering the ATP route specifically in JAX. I was wondering how your flight training is going so far? Are you enjoying it? Is it what you thought it would be like?

Jacob,

Tanner might have moved on as some people start the program and get too busy to continue to participate on the forum. I would encourage you to check out the “Student Experiences” section as there are many posts there from students.

Chris