Starting from the beginning

Hey guys! I am currently 21 years old about to graduate college in the next year. I have wanted to be a pilot for the last few years, but am not sure where to begin. I am on the medicine track but am thinking about switching things up because I want a job where I can travel and still be of use to people. However, I am not sure where to begin. My major is public health, so I know that has nothing to do with my first step to becoming an airline pilot. I have do not have any flight experience. So, what are the steps to becoming an airline pilot from the beginning? I have tried looking things up, but each website it different. Thank you!

Devki,

The very first step is scheduling an intro flight or lesson. You can ponder, dream etc etc etc all you like but until you actually go up in a small training aircraft you really won’t know for certain if flying is for you (and no, sitting in the back of an Airbus is not the same).

After that and if you enjoy it it’s a matter of choosing a flight school and getting trained. I also strongly recommend you spend some time browsing this forum and visit the ATP website. There’s tons of great info on both. After feel free to come back with more specific questions.

Adam

Devki,

What’s the first step in becoming an airline pilot you ask? Make sure you like to fly! The lifestyle is great and the pay is great but if the passion for flying isn’t at the foundation, you won’t be successful.

I was a journalism major in college and never thought of flying until later. I was surrounded by family in the industry so I knew I would eventually like it but didn’t know if I loved flying enough to go through all the challenges in the years of getting there. Once I went flying, I couldn’t get enough. That answered the question real fast.

Hannah

Devki,

Finding out if you have the enjoyment to fly is the beginning step in the journey. We always recommend taking a few introductory flights if you haven’t already not only to seeing if flying is something you are interested in, but to get some information and research of your own on a flight school. Chris created a posting years ago (which is still valid) regarding questions you could ask a flight school during an introductory lesson:

Growing up I didn’t have the finances to get my license. I went to college for a business degree and when I started working at a bank making fulltime pay, I went to a “mom and pop” school and obtained my Private Pilot License. Then over a year later I attended ATP and within 2 years from start to finish (Credit Private) I was hired on with a regional. Everyone is different, timing doesn’t always work out the same for everyone, but what is mostly important is the love of flying and passion for new journeys. I think you need to take a few introductory flights and see if flying is something you really want to do.

Brady