Tattoo policy

United recently allowed their attendants to have visible tattoos. Today, Virgin has announced a new visible tattoo policy. I assume this industry is shifting to being more accepting towards it? As a person who has forearm and a hand tattoo, I’ll admit I have always been worried. Seeing this change sparks excitement, however I’m not completely holding my breath.

Wesley,

From what I’ve read, it’s for flight attendants only. Granted it’s a step forward, I think it will still be a while for it to apply to the flight deck. There is a traditional high standard set for what a professional pilot should look like (whether we agree with it or not).

I’d accept the reality of covering them up for years to come and but surprised if it changes.

Hannah

1 Like

Wesley,

You’re correct that you shouldn’t get too excited. The airlines haven’t gotten more accepting, just more desperate and while there’s a shortage, there’s still plenty of pilots around without visible ink.

I predict some long sleeve shirts in your future.

Adam

1 Like

Long sleeves are fine. It’s just the concealing of the one on my right hand that I’m not looking forward to haha

Wesley,

I would plan on covering the one on your hand, or having it removed. This policy is not changing anytime soon for the pilots.

Chris