Tattoos and training/CFI

Okay, so I know that for the airlines any tattoos need to be covered for ‘professional appearances’ and am able and will do so. My question is this; During training, and subsequently once employed (at ATP) as a CFI, will the preference be to have them covered as well? From what I have seen the polo shirts provided are only short sleeved. So if covering is needed then would a long sleeve undershirt (in a matching color) be allowed? Thanks in advance.

Russell,

I do not know any more than what ATP says about tattoos online:

“Airlines require pilots to keep tattoos covered by the uniform. ATP encourages potential airline candidates to consider the impact of that policy on their future employment.”

Tory

1 Like

Thanks Tory,

I’ll definitely ask once I go to schedule a start time.

1 Like

Russell,

I believe you’re not required to have tattoos covered while in the program but you’re encouraged to, especially during checkrides. It’s a reflection of your professionalism. You will have to for the rest of your career, so you might as well get used to it.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks for the response Hannah, I was actually planning on getting long-sleeved undershirts. But I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask here as well.

I’ve seen quite a few people at my location who haven’t covered their tattoo’s. I think its just personal preference.

1 Like