The Future of Airline Programs

Hello All.

First off, I just happened to stumble upon this website, but it is great information and extremely helpful.

I am active duty AF, and have a little over 7 years left before I am eligible for retirement, so am starting to look at what options would get me to a major carrier soonest. I hold my private right now and planning to use my GI bill to get me to a Commercial. Right now, my understanding is that some of the major carriers have programs that allow employees to pursue training that gets them to the cockpit. With the ratings I anticipate having, this looks like the best path for me.

My question is, for those of you currently at the airlines, have you seen these programs to be effective in getting pilots to the cockpit. My concern is that airlines are using this as an initial recruiting tool to get employees in the door with no intent to make them pilots. I HAVE NO INFORMATION SUPPORTING THIS, it is more of a question for you all from your perspective.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

RJ

RJ,

The airlines are in need of bodies and are offering many pathways to the cockpit. If you earn your licenses, ratings and build the required 1500hrs you’ll have as good a shot getting hired as someone who was an employee.

I wouldn’t take a job in another capacity for a perceived leg up.

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,

Acknowledge all, and thank you for the quick response Sir.

RJ,

I am with Adam here. If you want to be an airline pilot, you need to train, be certified, and apply as an airline pilot. There is no other job at the airlines that will better position you to be a pilot and no, the airlines will not help pay for any of your flight training.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Much appreciated, thank you, that provides some clarity for me. My understanding was that the airlines would support training financially, however sounds like that’s not always the case. To Adam’s point, sounds like the better option is to just come in where I’d want to be vice use the some of the programs the airlines advertise. Much appreciated.

RJ,
I’m on terminal leave and SkillBridge prior to retiring from the AF now - one thing I’d recommend is hopping on Facebook and finding RTAG Nation - they were meant to be for Rotor pilots trying to transition to Airlines but have become more of a Vets to Aviation group - they have a ton of information on different routes to use your GI Bill to it’s max extent as well as other options. I’d also strongly recommend looking into SkillBridge as you get closer to retirement - there are a few organizations that work with flight schools that would allow you to use your potential 180 days of SkillBridge to pursue further pilot licenses/certifications. BreakTurn is the one that comes to mind - definitely a good option to use some of your transition time to knock out some training while still being paid by the AF.
With 7 years left, you’ve got a lot of time to get all your ducks in a row. Also, just a side note, you should plan to go through your Pre-Separation Briefing 2 years before you plan on separating and TAP shortly thereafter. Pre-Sep briefings are good for 3 years, TAP you won’t officially be able to complete until you’re within 365 days of your separation date, BUT there is SO much info there, I’d strongly recommend taking it twice.
Good luck!
-Steve

2 Likes

Steve,

This post is extremely helpful, thank you. Doing some more research, looks like the GI bill is the way to go to at least get to all of my ratings, then maybe jump to the ATP CTP, that way it’s just a matter of building the hours and experience, which I should be able to do in the next 7 years or so…should being the key word there…I’d not heard of Breakturn, but that looks like an awesome program, and I will definitely look to them when the time comes. Thank you again for the insight and crush your training.

RJ

1 Like