Thoughts on Republic Airways or the RJet Cadet Program?

I hope everyone is off to a wonderful start to the new year.

Since I’m not instructing with ATP, the cadet options are somewhat limited. Republic, however, peaked my interest after a presentation they did in Addison. They also have several domiciles in the NE, compensation/benefits are competitive and I felt their corporate culture aligned with my values. I recently interviewed and was accepted into their program with a tentative FO class date of February 2023.

Does anyone in the forum have experience with Republic or their cadet program? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Stay safe,
Ali

Ali,

While I personally don’t have any experience with Republic I can say they’ve been around a while and have a solid reputation. I know quite a few pilots who worked there and haven’t heard any complaints other than the usual.

Adam

1 Like

Ali,

I am not terribly familiar with Republic’s cadet program. What I can tell you is that Republic has been around for a very long time and has a solid reputation. They seem to have good contracts with their major airline partners and are on a firm foundation. I think they would be great place to begin your career.

Chris

1 Like

Good afternoon Syed,

I am in the same situation right now with instructing a flight school that is not ATP but I am interested in joining the RJet Cadet program. What was your interview like for the program? Also, how are you liking being a part of it right now? Thanks.

Kyle,

I am committed with Republic Airways as a RJet Cadet, tentative start date August. The interview was by far my favorite; The staff that did my interview consisted of 2 HR and 1 Pilot.

Questions that were asked ranged from “tell me about a time” to “brief me this approach plate” even with a little weather theory. They don’t expect you to know every 14 CFR 121 regulation out there, if you slip up a wording or phrasing for something (i.e., I messed up RVSM), they will guide you along…I took notes during the interview to revisit my knowledge post-interview.

Some other cool benefits are you get invited to a Facebook group to connect with fellow cadet and team members. Get some “swag” if you get accepted, a nice backpack, laynard, etc. They also have an internal Pilot Mentorship Proram.

Brady

1 Like

Hi Kyle,

Like Brady said, the interview went exactly as stated. I too slipped up on RVSM :wink: but the rest was straight forward. HR asked behavior type questions and the pilot asked instrument related questions. I had to brief an ILS approach into DTW, read a METAR, read a TAF, asked if I needed an alternate, holding speeds, max speeds below 10,0000 MSL, and max speed below a bravo shelf. There was probably a couple others, but nothing too obscure. I’m at just over 500 hours with a class date of February 2023.

Being an RJCadet isn’t bad. You get access to the Facebook group and some swag. They’re also suppose to set you up with a pilot mentor, but that hasn’t happened although I reached about it.

As for not instructing at ATP and being a Cadet…I’ve been more involved in my flight school from an operational and business development standpoint on top of instructing. One thing we’ve done is establish relationships with regionals, with Republic being one. It’s nice because you can take their signing bonus early should you need it to build flight time. Of course it comes with a commitment at that point. I’m only bringing this up because you can reach out to their recruiting team and see if your flight school can also be one of their partners.

Best of luck!
Ali

1 Like

Syed,

Thank you for adding your insights here, it is much appreciated.

Chris

1 Like