Training For The PPL (Outside Of ATP)

Hey y’all :wave:

First, I would like to preface that I have chosen to train for my PPL outside of ATP (then enter the ACPP with Private Credit). I know that by obtaining my PPL outside of ATP will take much longer (and will potentially cost more too). As mentioned in a previous post, the main reason for me going down this route is to see if I have the aptitude to learn how to fly. I also feel that I will personally be able to learn the foundational skills and knowledge required for flying better by going at a slower pace. Once I really understand what all goes into flying, then I’ll feel more confident in diving in to an accelerated career pathway program. With all that being said, let’s begin…

WEEK 1
As of today, I have finished my first week of flight training. It was quite an enjoyable week, and I’m learning a lot. Fortunately, my Instructor has fairly open schedule, and we were able to schedule 3 lessons this week (about 2hrs long each). However, due to the weather throughout the week, I haven’t been flying that much. Most of my time learning was on the ground, and going through Gleim’s Online Ground School course.

Though it’s kind of a bummer that I didn’t get to fly that much this week, I know that bad weather comes with the territory.

On a positive note, this week has allowed me to find what study methods work best for me. As I’m preparing to take the PAR, I’m going through the Online Ground School in conjunction with Sporty’s Study Buddy. The Online Ground School allows me to get a firm grasp on the subject matter while Study Buddy allows me to constantly quiz myself.

When I was able to fly this week, I focused on basic maneuverability of the aircraft (taxiing, climbs, descents, and coordinated turns).

All in all, I have really enjoyed the journey so far, and can’t wait to continue on! As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Steven

Ground: 5.8hrs
Flight Time: 0.8hrs

1 Like

Steven,

Thanks for the update! I think you made a wise decision testing the waters with just the private first. The ACPP is a big commitment and we want to make sure you are comfortable and prepared for what the rigors of the program will be like.

As for your training so far, not flying much your first week isn’t ideal but unfortunately you can’t control the weather. Sounds like you’re utilizing the ground time to prepare for your written exam. If I were you, be proactive about getting back on track now. See if you can schedule more flights next week, 4 or 5 even to get back some of the lost time from this week. The more you can fly consistently the better your experience will be. Excess ground time between flights is the way to lose time and money fast!

Hannah

2 Likes

Hannah,

Thanks for the advice on scheduling more flights to make up for the lost time. I’ve already scheduled four 3hr blocks for the next week. I’m really hoping that I can primarily spend that time flying, and log roughly 8hrs that week. I feel like I’ve made tremendous progress with my online ground school (1/3 finished).

Steven

Steven,

Don’t forget, to train with ATP and receive credit for your PPL you’ll need at least 78hrs of flight time.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll definitely keep that in the back of my head.

Steven

Steven,

If you are not 100% sure that flying is right for you, I think this is a good call. Thank you for the update.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Yeah, that’s the goal! Deep down inside I would love to think that flying is 100% for me. However, I felt the same way about Nursing…then Architecture (Unfortunately, both of those paths didn’t work out). I Just want to make sure that this is truly for me before going $100K in debt :sweat_smile:. I’ll keep everyone updated as I go along!

Steven

Steven,

Sounds like a very solid plan to me.

Chris

WEEK 2
Hey y’all! Back for another update. :wave:

This week has been pretty crazy, regarding the weather (the joys of living in Michigan :sweat_smile:). The first half of the week was constant thunderstorms and rain showers. The second half was haze/smoke from the wild fires. The little training I was able to accomplish was a continuation of taxiing, climbs, descents, and turns. I did, however, spend the majority of the time on the ground with self study. Here’s hoping that next week, I can get get out there and fly much more!

Steven

Ground: 3.5 hrs
Flight Time: 1 hr

Steven,

Welcome back! The weather these last few weeks have not been the greatest for GA flying, sadly. Airlines do get affected, just in other ways - like delays, reroutes, SWAPs. Make sure to continue to utilize all your resources while you can’t be in the actual plane. Have you completed your PAR? This downtime is perfect for studying and preparing for writtens.

Thankfully, better weather is ahead in the near future. Summertime storms can be brutal, but over time you will see them slowly diminish and get more flying!

Brady

1 Like

Steven,

I’m not going to lie, I’m not crazy about the 1hr this week. Flying skills build one upon the next and spend too much time away you loose what you gained.

I understand the weather hasn’t been great but I’m pretty sure there were windows of opportunity in there. Hence why training full-time is preferred.

Adam

2 Likes

Brady,

Yeah, the weather can be quite bad here. I’m definitely using my time to study for the PAR (Online Ground School with Sporty’s Study Buddy). I figured that even if there isn’t time to fly, there’s always time to study!

Steven

Adam,

I agree with you on the fact that flying consistently is the absolute best way to train. To be honest, I wasn’t too much of a fan of the 1hr this week either. Truthfully, I was expecting to get around 4-6 hrs at a minimum. Unfortunately, the little extra pockets of time I could’ve gotten in clashed with my work schedule, or my instructor’s availability. Fortunately, Next week I’m off of work! I’m really going to try to get a solid 5-6 hrs in. I’m scheduled for tomorrow, Monday, Thursday, and Friday. Each lesson is scheduled for three hours.

Steven

This is one of the many reasons training while working full-time is a downfall to your training timeline (not even just at ATP, but even in your case at a smaller-scale school). Hoping for better weeks ahead so you can consistently be flying and improving your skills!

Brady

1 Like