Training start date advice

Let me preface my question by pointing out that I’ll probably have to cosign for a 100K loan for my son and I selfishly want to reduce the risk of him washing out of ATP as much as possible!

My son graduates from college at the beginning of May, he’s in the process of getting everything lined up to start ATP soon after that. From what I’ve read here it’s highly recommended to get some or all of the written FAA tests out of the way before starting. It sounds like the pilots that did this are glad they did and the ones that didn’t wish they would’ve. But I’ve also seen the advice that seniority is king so don’t delay training to get the written tests out of the way. My thinking is that this is a seriously compressed training program and he (and his future passengers) would be better served if he focused on nailing the actual flying training if he didn’t have the tests to do. Plus I’ve seen a general rule of thumb on here that the tests take about 2 weeks a piece X 6 tests and that is like 12 weeks of additional work in the middle of a highly compressed 7 months of training. Between his current job and school he probably won’t have time to get the written tests out of the way until after he’s done with college so I’m leaning toward advising him to take like 6 weeks between college and starting training to get some or all of the testing done. He’ll probably be moving back with us throughout his training with no job or expenses so he won’t be starving unless the fridge is empty!

Pros to delaying training?

• Better checkrides, more time to bone up on extra knowledge?
  • If he does better at training maybe he’ll be better positioned to get a better gig after training?

Cons

• He’ll be 6 weeks behind in hours/seniority forever
  • Pilot recruitment is hot right now but that could change quickly so strike while the iron’s hot, make hay while the sun shines, insert your own metaphor here.

You all are the experts though so I’m curious what you have to say.

Scott,

welcome to the forum. I appreciate that you have very clearly spent some serious time studying this forum and have taken away some important facts. I would also strongly encourage your son to join this forum so he can get direct advice.

I would encourage your son to really focus on college and ending that portion of his education with he best grades possible. If he could finish even one or two writtens before starting the program, that would be helpful. However, I would not delay a program start for writtens. The programs designed for the writtens to be completed while the student is enrolled and many people do exactly that. I am not a fan of taking a delay for the writtens. If one can do any of them early, great, but do not delay for them.

Chris

2 Likes

Scott,

First and foremost I absolutely would not delay your son’s start. While there’s no question taking the writtens prior lightens the load, there are many many successful students who don’t. Sure they wish they had but not once have I ever heard a single one say if they had they wouldn’t have washed out but busted a ride. It’s more a matter of those who did being able to watch a game on Sunday or just chill instead of cramming for the writtens.

Obviously this is you and your son’s call but trust me, if your son does wash out or doesn’t get offered a ln instructors position it won’t be because of the writtens. It’s simply about giving 100% for 7mos. If he does he’ll be fine.

Adam

1 Like

Scott,

I was working all the way up to my start date and only completed one written exam, the PAR, just prior to my start date. It takes discipline and time management skills but the program is designed to take the writtens along side the training.

Also, just because your son starts on time, he can put in extra study time on weekends and get ahead, taking the IRA while still in the private phase and the CAX while in instrument just to elevate some of the deadline pressure.

Hannah

2 Likes

Scott,

Just adding my voice to the choir. Don’t delay for writtens. While what you say is true, most people that don’t do the writtens early wish they did…I am one of them. That said, I completed all of my written tests during the program and there was still room for me to have made better use of my time. If your son holds himself accountable and stays proactive the written tests should be the least of his worries.

Tory