"Waaaaa, I was only going to make $50k my second year"

KJ,

You can figure it out by visiting airlinepilotcentral.com and using the pay scale calculator. Based on your budget and the hourly rates listed on each airline’s profile and the average timeline for a regional FO to upgrade (2-3 years), and regional captain to FO at a major (2 years - never), there’s your answer.

Tory

I’m finally going to get my chance to find out what the purpose of this video was. Well get the chance to ask it we will see if he gives an answer.

I always enjoy going to and try to attend FAAST seminars when possible but this makes me clear my calendar even more lol

Tom,

I will be interested to hear what he has to say. I am glad that he had found a purpose in aviation. What he is doing would not work for me, but I am glad it is for him.

Chris

So I got to spend about 45 minutes with Jon after his FAASafety seminar (which was decently done with real life lessons). He is very laid back and down to earth; he showed he really cared about GA and students by giving me some tips on being a new CFI and to just always remember to keep some empathy when dealing with some students as there is always a bigger picture. While talking with him I asked about the video at the subject of this thread. He said how it was just more of an update video for his followers that caught the eye of a magazine.

He said that to this day he tells people they should go to the airlines for at least 6 months to a year just to experience the training, structure and culture as it was a great experience but after 2 years it just wasn’t for him as he had spent the last 5-6 yrs being his own boss and setting his own schedule. He said the money just wasn’t worth all of the commuting, and personal paid hotels anymore. He also said PSA was mandating upgrades and he didn’t want to lose his FO senority, and go from commuting from Sarasota to Charlotte (a huge hub) to commuting Sarasota up to the Junior Capt base of Norfolk.

He has relocated up to Alaska and is learning all the ins and outs of mountain flying along with traveling around the US with his girlfriend Steph.

I will say a year after the video was posted he still is doing what he said he wanted to do from the 12 minute mark on of travelling the US meeting people and finding new places. He looked right at home speaking in front of others and talking about his mistakes and how we can learn from them.

1 Like

Tom,

I am glad is working out for him. I still find his reasons absurd, but hey, they are his reasons.

Chris

1 Like

I stand by my original comments and I’m not going to give him any more attention… wait…I guess I just did!.. dang…

Adam

3 Likes