What can I expect in the beginning

Hey guys I am currently a truck driver and am interested in becoming a pilot however I am curious as to how much time at home I can expect when starting out and weather or not I’ll be able to pay my current bills on a starting salary. I am currently off around 8-11 days a month and make around 60,000 a year would it be possible to start out with similar time off and pay or should I expect something else in the beginning?

Avery,

Not sure if you’re talking about during training or once you start at an airline? If you’re talking about training an accelerated program that has you flying daily is strongly recommended. You obviously won’t be getting paid if you’re training full time so that’s a consideration.

Once you get hired first year at most Regionals is around $50-60k including bonuses. Second actually goes down to about $40k and will creep up until you upgrade. As a general rule of thumb you can plan on being gone half the month.

I recommend you visit the FAQ section as we discuss these topics at greater length.

Adam

Avery,

While flight instructing, you will most certainly take a pay cut. Take a look here for information on that: https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-much-does-a-flight-instructor-earn/8061

As a pilot, you might initially take a pay cut, but you will eventually far exceed anything that you would make as a truck driver. Read here for more on that: https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-do-pilots-really-earn/16495/2

Chris

Hey guys thanks for the replies and I actually have access to a plane I just cover the fuel and a pilot to fly with I know through a friend would it be possible to get my training through there or should I go to an accredited flight school?

Avery,

Is it possible? Sure. But you need to find an instructor who can take you all the way through your CFIs plus other planes for you complex and multi work. Could take quite a while but sure it’s possible.

Adam

Ok I do appreciate your responses and will definitely look into my options very closely I will probably have to settle for the option that will take longer I am the primary bread winner for my household but will remain open minded to my options and will definitely be reading in on here

Avery,

First of all your pilot friend would need to be a certified flight instructor to be able to teach you how to fly. If they aren’t they will not be able to sign your log book for the instruction time or recommend you to the FAA for your checkride.

We recommend accelerated flight training. It takes roughly 250 hours to become a fully certified pilot, that means nine months of very intensive training. I bet your friend works a full time job, has a family, had interests of his own, etc. when all of that is factored in, it would take years to get your flight training done that way.

The best way to train is just like the airlines and the military do, accelerated.

Chris

Thank you I will reassess my options and see if I can find away to attend a advanced training either way I will find a path to soar!