What do Pilots major in?

This might be a little private for some but I am just curious. I’ve read that aviation degree is not recommended since it is expensive, etc. I want to become a an airline pilot, I dream to be one. I was just curious, what do pilots/(pilots here) major in if they don’t major in aviation degree.

Kai,

It’s not only that aviation degrees are expensive, it’s more they offer no back up should flying not work out and also having a Plan B can be beneficial in the future when you’re senior and maybe want a side gig.

Regardless I know pilots who literally have degrees in everything you could possibly think of. From law and medicine to business and the arts. Study something you enjoy, will do well in and again might serve as a backup.

Adam

1 Like

Kai,

Pilots major in whatever interests them or provides them a nice back up! The most common I’ve heard is finance or business, nice broad subject areas with a lot of potential jobs if needed.

Personally, I majored in journalism. It was a passion I had before discovering flying. However, it still works as a solid back up since there is literally a news station in every average sized city in America. Works for me, hopefully I will never need it!

It’s up to you to pick what interests you!

Hannah

1 Like

Keelan,

I have known pilots to have degrees in everything from Business Administration (me), to Piano Composition and everything in between. The field of study really does not matter, just that you get a degree and that it is from a reputable school and not an online degree mill.

Chris

1 Like

Keelan,

I’m similar to Chris, I have a Bachelors in Business Administration. You want to find a degree in something you can find yourself partaking in if flying fell through. Plus, you’ll want to get good grades so choosing a major you find interesting so you do well.

Brady

1 Like

I’ve been a physical therapist for 27 years. I had a great career, but it’s time for me to pursue my dream job. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thank you all for your replies. Originally, I really want to take avionics for college, do you think it’s still worth it despite it being an aviation degree?

Kai,

As we’ve said, if it’s something you enjoy and can do well in why not?

Adam