What hair styles are allowed

I have a big curly Afro and I just want to know if I have to shave it and go with a low fade. I’m being told I need to cut it, but I’d like to hear it from ab actual pilot. The length of my hair can touch my chin.

Eric,

Most airlines state that hair cannot be below the ears on the sides, below the collar in back and in general must be “conservative and professional” although we are starting to see some relaxing of policy at some airlines.

Short answer: the fro probably has to go! :wink:

Adam

Adam,
Thanks for telling me this even though it’s hard for me to hear. I guess I’ll have to make plenty of sacrifices to be a pilot!

Eric,

You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do. These are life choices. If someone told me to have my dream job and the potential to make $400k a year I needed to shave my head and wax my entire body I would do so gleefully.

Regardless this doesn’t really appear on the list of sacrifices people make for this career.

Adam

Eric,

No your afro will not work:

Hair will not touch the ears or the collar except the closely cut hair
on the back of the neck. Hair will be groomed so that it will not protrude below
the front band of uniform hat.

Is the afro really worth not being able to have one of the coolest and most looked up to jobs today?

Brady