What is the best way to prepare for ATP flight school and how can I know if its for me?

Hello everyone!
To introduce myself, my name is Brian O’Neill. I’m 23 years old and I have recently become interested in being an Airline Pilot and going to ATP flight school. I’ve always been interested in flying privately and I’m researching more and more about this as a career choice being a commercial pilot. I’m a little concerned after reading some posts, a lot of guys seem to have experience and I have none. How can I make sure that it’s for me? How can I prepare myself for the school? My main concern is that I decide to go and then get blindsided by everything and not know what to do. Do I need to be super knowledgeable before going or can a guy like me with no experience go to the school and do well? I took the online training lessons, I’ve played plenty of flying video games (I know it may not be the same but it sparked my interest) and I know a little bit but I’d like to hear some opinions from you all!!

Brian,

The best thing you can do is take an introductory flight, you can do this at any ATP location or at just about any flight school. It is one thing to think that you want to fly an airplane, it is quite another to actually do so, an introductory flight will help make that distinction. Also, spend some time on this forum, especially the “Flying the Line” section as there is some really good information in there about what the job and lifestyle entails. Of course, feel free to ask any questions that you think of.

As to doing well in training, ATP’s program is designed for those with no flight experience. ATP does not expect you to come to school knowing how to fly, if you did then there really would not be any point in the school itself. They do expect you to work hard and show up prepared each day, just like any school should. Work hard, fly right, and you should do just fine.

Chris

Hey Chris, thank you so much. You eased my mind a bit by saying that! I have no issues with working hard and showing up prepared.

Do you happen to know if I need to get my medical clearance BEFORE the intro flight? The way that the steps on the website are shown, it makes me believe that answer is yes. If not, it would be nice to try the flight before going through all the medical costs if possible but it’s not an issue if that answer is yes.

I will absolutely check out the “Flying the Line” section.

Thanks again for the help!

Brian,

You would need to ask the ATP admissions department that question. The rational for obtaining the medical first is that if you are not able to pass the medical exam, then there really isn’t any point in taking the intro flight.

Chris

That makes perfect sense, I was planning on giving them a call! Thanks Chris!

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Brian,

I respectfully disagree with Chris. I don’t believe ATP requires a medical prior to the Intro flight but if they do I’d go elsewhere. Before you do anything or invest another moment of your time pondering this whole thing you need to go fly. There’s literally zero point to taking another step until you sit upfront and see how you feel and if you enjoy it. If after you do you can then get your medical and proceed. Also if after you Intro you’re still not certain I would recommend taking a few more lessons (perhaps soloing?) before you make a huge commitment.

Adam

1 Like

Brian,

Adam is correct, there is no need to have a medical prior to the intro flight. I stand corrected.

Chris

2 Likes

Thanks Adam!

Brian-

I was in your shoes three months ago. Never been in a cockpit before, but was really interested. Go take an introductory/discovery flight from a local flights school, and tell them that you want an hour of actual flight time. I paid $175 for it, and don’t regret it one bit. Then, if you had fun flying, get your medical taken care of right away. I start at ATP in November, and hope to get into a cockpit at least a couple more times before then, if nothing else just to fly for fun with an instructor, and build more experience and confidence.

Give it a whirl. See if it’s fun first!
-Tom