Questions regarding ATP

I was wondering if I should have prior knowledge of flying before going to ATP. Can I have no experience and still go there? Also, are there classes i can take somewhere else and transfer them to ATP?

Thank you

Most of the students that go through ATP show up on day 1 with no knowledge of aviation. When I signed up, I had no idea about principles of flight or anything like that. I took the ground courses and learned as I went along.
If you are looking to start, I would suggest finding a ground course to study. Most people generally like the Kings School course. There are others out there. This would give you a good head start.
Welcome to the forum.

Bill

Thank you Bill what are ground courses? I just lloked up the online school would I pick the field I’m interested in going for?

If you go the Kings school route, start with the Private pilot course. It will give you all of the basics you need to learn to be a pilot.

Bill

Austin,

The majority of ATPs students have zero experience and knowledge. That said I strongly recommend taking a lesson (or 3) to make certain this is something you want to do. Flying a small GA airplane is VERY different than sitting in the back of a commercial jet.

I don’t recommend any courses prior as ATP will train you in all areas. It’s the actual flight experience that you need to try.

Adam

Austin,

As Adam mentioned, majority of those enrolling have zero knowledge or flight experience. And a lot of these days, many are first generation pilots in their family and are trying something new. You should look into going to your local airport and finding a flight school to do an introductory lesson and few flight lessons to see if you enjoy flying.

The only thing prior to ATP is working on the writtens and you use Test Prep for that, like Sporty’s Study Buddy App. You will learn everything through your time at ATP.

Brady

Austin,

About 70% of ATP’s students start with no, or very little, flight experience. I recommend taking an introductory flight with ATP and getting a feel for if you really like flying. It is one thing to ride as a passenger on a jet, it is quite another to fly a small airplane. You cannot really transfer into ATP, other than you have a Private Pilot’s License. I do not recommend doing this, unless you are simply not sure I f you want to be an airline pilot and want to use the time it takes to get a private license as a means of exploring that.

Chris