What is the policy of airlines regarding social media?

I see a lot of pilots posting photos of the flight deck and selfies on Facebook and Instagram. I am surprised that is allowed. At the railroad where I work, you can be terminated if you’re caught with your phone even on.

Matthew,

You won’t see any of that from the mentors on this website. It is against the rules and a really stupid thing to do.

Chris

Matthew,

Unless you’re parked at the gate with the brake set most airlines (and the FAA) do not permit pics. It does seem to be a trend but I believe it’s only a matter of time before someone starts cracking down.

Adam

I would like to add that there are specific instances where the airline has given permission to the pilot to take photos/videos during non-critical phases of flight during repositioning flights (no passengers).

Swayne Martin, who now works for Envoy, has a fantastic YouTube channel and has produced some great videos in partnership and with permission from the Airline.

Edited to add: He also has worked with the FAA to successfully gain approval.

I’d like to piggy back off Peter’s comment that Swayne also works with Aleks at Boldmethod so he also has a good grasp of the industry and who to talk to (or name drop) not to mention his free advertising for Envoy with 100k subscribers.