What knowledge do you need to be a pilot?

I was wondering what kind of math skill set you needed to have to become a pilot. Can you get into a pilot career with just basic math knowledge? Also, do you have to have a background in science? I never took any high math or sciences classes but was looking into becoming a pilot and wasn’t sure if it would be a big disadvantage to not be well versed in those subjects.

Thank you!

Abrianna,

There’s a very common myth out there that to be a pilot you need to have advanced math and science skills and knowledge. Fortunately that’s not true (if it were I’d still be making pizza). As long as your basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) are solid you’ll be fine. If they’re not you may want to sharpen them a little bit nothing beyond that AND a strong desire to learn is necessary.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the insight, and the quick response!!

Abrianna,

Just to add, your degree can be in any field you like. It doesn’t have to be in math, science, or aviation for that matter. In fact, anything but an aviation degree is a good idea in case you need a backup plan.

Tory

1 Like

Abrianna,
You don’t need any high level science or math education. Most math we do is basic arithmetic. The only class that could be helpful in your future aviation career would be meteorology. If you have an extra elective to use, that would be a good use of it. Besides that, study what you like and when it is time to start flight training you will be taught all you need to be a successful pilot.
-Hannah

1 Like

Hi Hannah and Abrianna,

My name is Lisa, I’m 36 years old. I don’t have any kids-- I just got back from the Women in Aviation conference in Nashville and my mind has been blown. I’ve never been interested in being a pilot per se, but now I can’t get it off my mind. I have a good career currently, but I can’t see myself doing it for the next 20 yrs. As a female, I know there aren’t alot of other female pilots, and that makes me want to do it even more. Can someone give me one good reason not to do it, not to drop everything and start my ATP class in the fall? TIA

Hi Lisa!
I was at the WAI conference as well! It really is a special event. The energy there is like nothing else!
I love your passion and I don’t have any reasons for you not to. Being an airline pilot is the greatest job in the world. However before you totally jump in, take an intro flight just to be sure! Plus make sure you can secure a first class medical. Once you clear both of those, apply for financing and you’d be all set to make the leap! Keep us updated:)
-Hannah

1 Like

Lisa,

I was at Women In Aviation as well, if you stopped by the ATP booth, we might have met as I was there some of the time.

Without knowing your whole situation, it is hard to comment on why you should or should not go to flight training. What I can tell you is that I truly enjoy the job, make a comfortable living and have a fair amount of time off. Now the road to the majors can take a few years, but to me it is well worth it.

Chris

I actually did stop by the booth! I was one of the 4 Air Force girls walking through. We were in uniform - my friend Sulema was the most interested. I wish I had been as serious about it as I am now, I would have asked more questions!

Thank you for your service @LisaS. No worries, your intro flight and facility tour will provide you a wealth of information. Plus we’re here to help answer any other questions you have throughout the whole journey.

If you don’t have a degree or little to no knowledge/experience with aviation, can you make it through flight school? Do you have to have any Pre Reqs to get into flight school? What kind of things can you study to gain more knowledge before jumping in?

Abrianna,

You don’t need a degree for flight school, but you will at some point if you want to be successful as an airline pilot.

Prereqs for ATP are simply a HS diploma and the desire to be successful. There are tons of things you can read but really it’s all best accomplished while you’re training.

Adam

1 Like

Abrianna,

Of course a basic knowledge of math and weather is helpful, but I would not worry about it too much. You will be taught everything you need to know in flight school.

Chris

1 Like

Hi Hannah! I’m a newbie, and just read that you should attain a first class medical. I’m nervous because I don’t have medical insurance right now. And I was perscribed ADHD medicine in my past. I read another thread that was mentioning having that diagnosis in their past. Taking the medical exam is the first step before even knowing you’re capable to signing up?

You need to call AOPA or an AME and ask about how ADHD is handled.

It will likely be handled and cost similar to threads you’ve read on here.

Chris F

Morgaine,

Yes, the first thing you should do is secure your first class medical. Having ADHD medication prescribed in your past will make the process more difficult unfortunately. I wouldn’t get started on anything else until you find out if a medical is a reality.

Follow the link below to find the AME nearest to you. Make an appointment and fill out the form on MedXpress and bring that confirmation number to your appointment.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/

Hannah