What to expect at ATP?

From almost everyone I here that ATP is hard but fun in the same time. But I want to know what is the hard part? Is it the material thats hard to understand? Or is it that it’s a lot of studying everyday? My question is what makes ATP hard? Not that I want it to be easy but I just want to know what to expect

David,

Part of the appeal of the ATP program is the fact you can complete all your training in 9mos. This process traditionally takes years. Flying while not rocket science does require a fair amount of intelligence and coordination and many find it challenging. Now compress all that info and training into a much smaller time frame and that increases the level of difficulty tremendously.

If you’re wondering then why accelerate the training and not just let people take as much time as they like? Because ATP is preparing you for the VERY accelerated pace you’ll eventually encounter should you get to the airlines. In short it’s all hard.

Adam

1 Like

David,

ATP is hard in that they condense a huge amount of learning into nine months. Most of this is material that is completely brand new to the student. It takes an incredible amount of time to learn this information and a large amount of self-study. On top of this, what you are learning is literally life and death information.

Honestly, I did not find the program to be particularly hard, just intense. But I imagine that any higher level training program would be so.

Chris

1 Like

@DavidGarcia, Think of it this way: If the training can be done in nine months instead of two years, and it also mimics the fast pace of the commercial airline training program you will be required to handle when you are hired, why would you want it to be any easier or slower? The airlines, like any company that needs to invest in training their employees, want the training to get done as quickly as is safely possible. Every day you are a student and not working, you are costing them a lot of extra expense.

Also, Aside from the Pace preparing you for the “real world”, aside from the pace preparing you for the “real world“ time is money for you too. The longer you are in school and not earning a paycheck, and perhaps having to rent a place to live as a student somewhere, the more expensive the overall training becomes for you. If you take longer to get the training done, you are also losing out on airline seniority.