When to apply?

Hi All

As of a few days ago, my HIMS AME sent out my first class medical application to the FAA and I graduated college with a bachelors. There is a 50-50 chance I get my first class medical. (It could be declined due to my mental health issues, hence why I am seeing a HIMS AME) So I am wondering, do I wait for my first class medical to arrive before applying to ATP or can I do so right now? Also, what else can I do during this “down time” before attending ATP? I have my degree, I am awaiting my first class medical, what else?
Please let me know.

Thank you all for your hard work in this forum.

Mikael,

I know that you are eager to get ahead, but until you have a First Class Medical in-hand, I wouldn’t do anything except for study for the PAR written test. However, I would wait to take the test until you have your medical. You also need to consider that written tests results are only valid for 24 months. So it is also important to know your start date.

Tory

Mikael,

Actually if you haven’t already I’d contact ATP and start working on the financing. For many people that’s a challenge and if you can check off that box you probably should.

Adam

Mikael,

I agree with Adam, you could start the application process and work on the financing. I would certainly not place any deposits down until I had the medical in hand.

I would expect the FAA to take some serious time in reviewing your file, maybe several months. I would study for the private written exam, but with odds like that, I would also spend some time reviewing other career options. Just in case.

Chris