Zero hour or no?

So this question incorporates a mix of topics. My primary concern is getting approved for a loan with a cosigner around with score in the high 600’s. I am 20 and have been able to personally save 8k in the bank with rent and am ready to start flight training in a 152 which will cost 5k, while I know the minimum is is 80 and atp does ppl around 68, I have the unique situation through my job as a line man to get instructional hours in the Pilatus pc-12 and a bit of king air time for free( I’ve gotten signed for 8 hrs Pilatus and 3 king air) should I hold on to this opportunity, get my ppl and apply for a loan OR would it give me a greater chance of approval if I apply with 8k in my bank account to show financial responsibility? Thanks for the response and best to all.

Cameron,

I think you need to look at how that time will look in your logbook. Without even having a PPL, let alone a multi-engine PPL that Pilatus and King Air time is going to look disingenuine as let’s face it, those are both highly complex airplanes and you probably weren’t too in tune with what was actually happening.

Furthermore, I find it very difficult to believe that any flight school can provide training for a PPL at $5k, I am sure they are quoting you the minimum amount of flight time, not what it will actually take.

As for financing approval, it would be best if you spoke to the admissions department on that as they are the experts in such things.

Chris

Chris, thank you for the response. Would it universally appear disingenuous in a lot book? While although I’m not capable of flying the plane solo I do feel I’m gaining valuable experience learning to handle communication with Gowers and approaches, intro to multicrew environment, navigation among otfher things that can apply elsewhere? The pilots make sure to not endorse anything crazy just stuff like intro to airport procedures and night flying.

Also, the flight school is actually a flight club and the rental is 75/hr with 50/hr for instructor with a new engine. And I will be asking the question to the financial department thanks for the direction.

Cameron,

I personally would not log the flight time. I feel that it opens you up to answering questions about the airplane in an airline interview that you probably will not be able to answer. Also, how is the flight time being put in your logbook? Is the other pilot a CFI and signing the time off as instruction time, or is it being signed off some other way?

Chris

Cameron,

I participated in hiring and something like would definitely grab my attention and at the least I’d probably grill you on your knowledge of the aircraft. Your call but unless you want to go back and thoroughly study the systems of those 2 aircraft prior to your interview I’d leave it off.

Adam

Thanks for both of the responses your insight and advice is extremely helpful. To answer you Chris, the pilots are former but current instructors who log the time as duel received and instruction. They also only sign for the time on the empty legs they let me take control and teach me. Does that make any difference? Probably not. Your point about the knowledge needed for that specific aircraft makes a great amount of sense and I will not proceed to log the hours until I have the necessary licenses, thanks for the help.

Thanks for both of the responses your insight and advice is extremely helpful. To answer you Chris, the pilots are former but current instructors who log the time as duel received and instruction. They also only sign for the time on the empty legs they let me take control and teach me. Does that make any difference? Probably not. Your point about the knowledge needed for that specific aircraft makes a great amount of sense and I will not proceed to log the hours until I have the necessary licenses, thanks for the help.