6 Months Program

Hello Pilots and Students,

I hope everyone is well and safe. I am writing this post today to get some advice. I have been working on my Private pilots license since a few months but am currently at home due to lockdown. I aim to finish my lessons and take my check ride soon after this is over and then transfer to ATP’s 6 month program. I am currently 21 and will graduate in Fall of 2020 and am available 7 days a week due to online classes.

I want to ask if the 6 month program would be faster than 2 years ? Also does anyone believe that most of these programs would stick around later for example United Aviate? Also does ATP partner with any corporate jet companies ? United airlines has always been my dream due to many reasons. I know as of now no can one can be sure of anything but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

So the program is actually about 9 months. If you’re planning on trying for 6, you’re going to be flying every day, at least once a day. Right now is tough because a lot of examiners aren’t doing checkrides. Also, CFI academy is on hold, and the longer that goes the longer the backlog gets. I wouldn’t plan on taking less than at least 7 or 8 months.

Kevin,

You’re correct the program is 6mos with credit for your PPL (keep in mind you also need at least 78hrs flight time). I’m going to assume you mean shorter than 2yrs to complete the training AND build the 1500hrs as it’s not really clear how you say it? If that’s the case yes you could possibly get there in less than 2yrs (16mos x75= 1250 + the 250 from training would be 22mos).

As for the airline programs like Aviate etc the airlines have much greater concerns right now than cadet programs. Cash is the concern not staffing. Short answer is only time will tell. ATP has agreements with virtually every Regional in the country as well as some corporate partners. If your goal however is to fly for United, Regional flying is your best route.

One other note, you mention you’re finishing your degree online which is fine. I would not however start your ATP training until you’re finished. While you may believe you’re available fulltime 7 days a week you won’t be once you start your training with ATP. The program is highly accelerated and many people find it incredibly challenging with zero distractions. Attempt to do college and ATP and you risk doing poorly in either or both. That could seriously effect your career and therefore it’s discouraged.

Adam

Kevin,

I am not sure what you mean by “if the six month program would be faster than two years.” Can you clarify?

I fly for United now, we actually got an update yesterday that said while the company is obviously not currently hiring pilots, they do intend on keeping the Aviate program active as they know there will be a demand for pilots again shortly, mostly due to retirements.

I look at ATP’s partnership page and do see some corporate operators listed there. Check it out: https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/

I second Adam on it not being a good idea to attempt online college and ATP at the same time. The program is highly accelerated, you really need to be able to devote all of your time to it.

Chris

Hello Adam,

That’s correct I meant to come in with credit for my private pilots license and then move on to the 6 month program. My question was is it possible to finish the whole program in less than 2 years if you go through the 6 month program which I believe you said yes it’s possible. Do we need 78 hours prior to coming in or can we build those at ATP because I am in a 141 flight program and the hour requirement is less and I have about 30 hrs and my instructor is expecting me to take the check ride at about 40-45 hours.

I’ll look into the regional pathway towards United more. Also as far as college goes you are probably right that it’s better to finish my degree first and then full dedicate to ATP.

Thank You Adam.

Hello Chris,

I do know that there is a hiring freeze but if you said that aviate will stick around then I’m not much concerned. I am just slightly concerned about the 78 hr requirement before entering ATP. I believe my check ride will be done before hand. As far as college goes I agree that waiting until finishing my degree is the best choice as there are only a few months left.

Thank You!

Kevin

Kevin,

The two year program is designed to be done in two years, while some finish it faster, I would plan on it taking the full two years.

To eb clear about Aviate, I do not speak for the company and cannot guarantee that the program will not change or go away, this is simply their current guidance on the matter. That being said, there are thousands of retirements planned at United in the next several decades, so there will be a need for pilots.

The 78 hour entry requirement is to meet certain FAA requirements later in the program. If you are short on time, call ATP and see if they can offer the extra time to you. I was about 15 hours short, I bought the extra time from ATP and used it to get a head start only instrument training.

Chris

Kevin,

As Chris said, you can contact ATP and they may be able to offer you some time building but the 78hrs is a requirement for the 3mos PPL reduction.

Adam