A Few Questions that popped up in my head

1. Can i be a pilot with stuttering problems?
  2. Can i wear glasses?
  3. Can i be a united airlines pilot without being a CFI?

Jason,

1. Honestly it depends on the severity of the stutter. Good communication skills are critical as a pilot and can easily make the difference between life and death. You need to consult an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner). They actually have tests they can administer which will determine whether or not you can get a medical which will determine whether or not you can be a pilot.

2. As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 the answer is yes.

3. United hires experienced pilots who meet their hiring minimums. The question is how will you build your time to get to a Regional or 135 operation if you don’t instruct? Instructing is the most common route most pilots take do to the availability of jobs. Further I believe it’s important you work on your communication skills sooner than later and instructing is a great way to do that.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for answering and my stutter isn’t worse anymore. I just get stuck on one or two words

Jason,

Welcome to the forums, let’s get to your questions:

1. It depends on how bad it is. You need to be able to communicate clearly and succinctly, particularly in stressful times. Even if you do obtain the first class medical, you need to be able to make it through the interview as well. Again, it depends on the severity.

2. Yes, as long as your vision can be corrected to 20/20.

3. Yes, but you will need to get your flight time somewhere and being a CFI is by far the most common route. It will be difficult to build flight time otherwise.

Chris

1 Like

I actually did the Biannual for a Senior Pilot that has a stutter who only flies oonce in awhile.

He could talk normally on the ground but in the air he was rusty and nervous which made the stutter worse. We had to do some extra flights before I signed him off because his communication over radios was very poor.

Key is really practice radio calls out loud so you don’t get nervous in the air. Probably will have to practice radio calls more than anyone else. But definitely possible if AME gives you the medical.

I’d go to a flight school and talk to them, they will be able to help gauge how your stutter would be in the air and better to advise on how to talk to the AME for medical. Also if you can make a friend at the airport maybe you can go for some flights with them and try the radios before diving into a program costing thousands of dollars.

1. & 3. Were already answered.

Chris F

1 Like