ATP, 100ME vs 40ME

Hey Erik,

First of all, welcome welcome.

Your situation is not uncommon. I have had a few students and fellow instructors that came to ATP with an instrument rating. ATP will definitely allow you to sign up for the 100 day program (with private credit), but there is no option to cut out the hours allotted for instrument training, so you would need to pay for the whole program. You will be able to use those hours as an instrument refresher or as cross country time-build, and you obviously won’t need to do the instrument checkride.
Another thing to point out is your total time. With 300 hours, you are already pretty much eligible for a Commercial certificate (assuming you have 100hrs PIC), so paying for the full program, which includes a good amount of time-build, might not be the most cost efficient option for you.

Now with regards to 100ME vs 40ME, I would recommend going with the 40ME program. The ME time will be easy to get later on as an instructor at ATP. Also, even if you decide to go elsewhere to build your hours, most regionals nowadays only require 25hrs ME, and some require 50hrs (in airline training you will be able to log 30-40 more ME hours), so 40 hours will cover you either way.
With that said, I personally went through the 100ME program and will say that I really enjoyed the 35hr XC time-build in the seminole, so if money isn’t an issue for you… :wink:

BTW, great choice of locations, winter in Phoenix is perfect for flight training.

Yarden

Erik,

As Yarden said, your situation is fairly common. While you already have the total time for your Commercial, you’ve already experienced (as I did) the frustration of training at the local FBO. Listen you’re going to need the time anyway and if you do the math the per hour rate at ATP is relatively reasonable. Bottomline, if you want to become a professional pilot you could be working as a flight instructor in just over 90 days and be flying for a Regional in about a year after that. How long did it take you to build the 300hrs you have flying locally?

Adam

Adam,

I started flight training at the end of my senior year in high school (over 6 years ago). Got my private while I was a freshman in college. I had somewhere between 80-90 hours under my belt before I got my PPL. I flew occasionally throughout college (about 20 hours a year). Got my degree then started working immediately. I got my seasonal layoff last December, so that’s when I started my instrument training. Got my rating in April. I did some solo and IFR practice between then and now. Now I’m back at work but will resign next month to pursue this new career.

Eric,

I wasn’t setting you up but I suspected the answer would be in years. Not being a salesman but now is probably the best time to get into aviation perhaps in history. Whether you go to ATP or elsewhere sooner is without question better. Six years from now you could be a Capt at a Regional looking at Majors my friend. Time to get crackin’!

Adam

Hahaha thanks Adam. I definitely agree with you. I plan on starting after the Holidays.

Yarden,

Great response! I figured I wouldn’t get a discount for already having my instrument rating, but I’m fine with having to pay for the whole program.

As for the 40ME program, I saw on the qualifications page for flight instructor at ATP and it says you need a minimum of 50 hours ME PIC and 35 hours ME Cross Country PIC. If I choose the 40ME program, how would I be able to meet those minimums to instruct at ATP?

Erik,

I could not find where it says that on ATP’s website, either way I believe that those minimums would be for outside hiring. You can rest assured that you will have an instructor position with completion of either program (100ME or 40ME).

Yarden

Edit:
Found it here.

Follow UP:

Thanks all for the positive feedback, I just want to make sure I’m understanding correctly.

Basically if a student wants to fly for a regional airline then eventually move to the majors (like myself lol) he/she can go through the 40hr ME program and will earn the other 60hrs while instructing at ATP, furthermore even if a student choses the 40 hour program they will have already met the requirement more regionals require.

However if a student plans to be a flight instructor, and aren’t planing on going to the airlines, they should go with the 100Hr Program as that will look better on paper for other flight schools.

Sorry if that sounds confusing! Thanks again :slight_smile:

Earv,

Yes and no. Many of the Regionals still have min ME requirements (usually 100hrs) or at least list that as being “competitive” (aka something they like to see). If you instruct with ATP there is no question you’ll exceed 100hrs ME while instructing building your time. BUT if you don’t plan to instruct for ATP I strongly encourage you to chose the 100hr program NOT simply because it looks good but because you could very well find yourself short of required time for the particular Regional of your choice.

Adam

Earv,

You almost have it.

If a student wants to fly for the airlines and is going to instruct for ATP then the 40 hour program is what I recommend. While those 40 hours themselves will not meet the 100 multi engine hour requirement that many regionals have you will easily surpass 100 multi hours while working as a CFI for ATP. Since you want to be an airline pilot and plan on instructing for ATP I recommend this option.

The 100 hour is for people who are likely going to the airlines, but not planning on instructing for ATP. This way they come out of the program meeting the regionals multi engine time requirement and can go instruct at another school without having to worry about it (most schools do not have multi engine airplanes in their fleet). Typically people take this route when they live far from an ATP location and wish to return home to instruct.

Good question, I know how confusing this can all be.

Chris

GREAT THANKS A LOT @CHIRS!! I just saved 10k (lol), as I plan on instructing at ATP to obtain the additional hours.

I plan on applying for the loan in March, and since its 10k less that will make the chances a lil higher of getting approved w/o cosigner.

Earv,

I am glad I could help straighten that out for you. $10,000 is a good chunk of money to save.

Let us know how the financing application goes and as always feel free to come ask any questions that you think of.

Chris

1 Like

I surely will… Once I start the program I actually plan to post on a weekly or bi weekly basis for new current and perspective students… As ill be starting from ground zero.

@Chris two questions:

1. is it possible to finish the required hours under two years (including the time with ACP)

2. I plan on purchasing most of the equipment on my own so I wouldn’t have to add them to financing. Do you have a list of suggested equipment I can buy between now and April(when I plan on submitting financing)

My 2 cents that aren’t worth a dime is that with the 100 hour program you get the 60 hours more ME time at a very reasonable $166ish an hour. That’s a very inexpensive ME time if you’re buying. Granted like we all understand you could get paid to fly those hours if you choose the 40 hour program and then instruct with ATP. I chose the 100 and plan to instruct with ATP because it’s 60 more hours in my book logged as ME time vs single. Also, I think like @Adam when it comes to the thought of proficiency(check out his first reply in this thread and a few later). I guess it’s personal preference and like @Chris says both programs take you to the same place and 10 grand is 10 grand which is nothing to scoff at but there’s always at least 2 sides to every elephant. 160 dollars for ME is pretty nice.

1 Like

Mike,

You’re absolutely right, It’s a fair amount of ME time at a very reasonable rate. When I did my training that was all that was offered and it served me well. But again I’m pretty sure if they had the 40hrs back then I would’ve grabbed it as the price is very attractive and unfortunately money is often a consideration if not a challenge,

Adam

Earv,

1. I really don’t see how you could fly the required 1,500 hours in less than two years. Perhaps you could do it a month or so faster, but it would be tough. There are FAA rules that govern how many hours per day a CFI can fly and beyond that the primary purpose of a CFI is to provide quality instruction, so there is a fair amount of ground school involved. Remember to enjoy your time as a flight instructor, getting to fly small airplanes and teaching people how to fly is really rewarding unto itself.

2. Here is a list of the items that you will need during training: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/bring/items_for_acpp.html

Posting during the program would be great and would be a welcome addition to the forum :slight_smile:

Chris

Earv,

I started from zero in October of 2014 and was hired at SkyWest in August of 2016. Just under 2 years.

It is definitely doable, but it is not the norm…usually it takes a little over 2 years if not more.

With regards to the equipment, don’t rush to buy all the equipment right now. At this point I would stick to an iPad and maybe a headset.

Yarden

Thanks for the feedback @Yarden and @Chris

@Yarden did you do the 100hr or 40hr track?

Little update from me. I applied for loans to make sure I would get approved and did. I am heading down to Tampa January 5th to visit some friends and take an intro flight with ATP that Saturday. If all goes well I will apply for my first class medical the begining of July and hopefully set up a class date for October around that time. I continue to read and appreciate all the insight you guys give us!

Tucker,

That is great news! Make sure the admissions department knows about your timeline as you might have to reapply for financing by the time that July rolls around.

Let us know how the intro flight goes. Thanks for the feedback, it is nice to hear :slight_smile:

Chris