ATP, 100ME vs 40ME

Kudos Tucker!

Keep us posted.

Adam

Ugh I really hope I don’t regret choosing the 40ME program :disappointed: I start in less than 2 weeks so it’s probably too late to switch to the 100ME program. That extra 10k is a tough sell. I hear all the great stories of 100ME guys doing their crew cross countries in the seminole across the country, but nothing about crew flights in the archer or 172. I hope I get to fly in at least a few different states instead of just flying out of my base.

Erik,

Seriously relax and don’t sweat it. You’ll be doing your Archer and 172 flights as a crew and you will be venturing out plenty. Not to mention once you become an instructor you’ll be doing cross-countries in the Seminole with your students so it’s all good.

It’s very normal to starting questioning and getting a little stressed prior to your start but trust me once you get started you won’t give it a thought.

Erik I can’t think of a better way to start the new year! VERY excited for you but for now you need to relax and enjoy your family and friends and have a blast on New Years Eve cause once you get on this train it don’t stop for while! :slight_smile:

Adam

I have already talked with them and am aware I will need to reapply come July. The biggest thing was just ensuring that come summer it wouldn’t be a surprise if I could not get the loan! Thank you!

Tucker,

It sounds like you have it all worked out then. Summer will be here before you know it. Keep us in the loop, please.

Chris

Erik,

I wouldn’t regret the decision to do the 40 hour program for one second. While the multi guys might fly some longer flights there is no guarantee that they will fly from coast to coast. You will get plenty of good experience in the Archer and trust me, even if you don’t fly as far as you would like to there will be many decades of long distance flying ahead of you.

Think about it this way, there are three airline pilot mentors on this forum. We have all been helping and mentoring new pilots for years and we all suggest the 40 hour program.

Enjoy your New Year’s!

Chris

Earv,

I did the 100hr program, but that was before the 40hr program was offered.

Yarden

Hey Mike,

Just a heads up, I did that math on the hourly cost of the extra ME as well, and unfortunately it is not $166 per hour for the 60ME hours, it is $166/hr on top of the standard SE rate. You have to take into account that you pay the $10k more but you’re not gaining 60 hours, simply doing them in a different plane, the total program hours are the same either way.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade, but I already did the math on this one and my first career for the last 15 years was very mathematics based!

James,

I don’t think you’re raining on anyone’s parade. No one is questioning that the 40hrs ME is a “better deal” financially (which is why all the mentors on here recommend it) but even with $166hr premium for the twin (ON TOP of the SE) it’s still a pretty reasonable if you check ME rental and instruction rates (IF you can find a school that will let you rent their twin for long blocks). It’s also allowing you to integrate the ME training and time into the initial training vs the pilot on the street who after earning all his licenses and ratings then has to find the time (and the money) to build the required ME time to get an airline interview (which many do). ATP offers pilots fair options.

Adam

Absolutley Adam! I wasn’t knocking ATP’s rates really, I just wanted to make sure everyone was taking into account that it was replacing SE time in the program and not adding extra ME time, $166/hr for a Seminole would be a KILLLER deal! I personally still haven’t chosen which track I intend to take, $10k is a big chunk of change for sure, but in the grand scheme of the cost of an ATP program it isn’t that bad. Considering you end up with 100ME right out of the gate, get more comfortable and familiar with twin operations, and get to go further/faster on the crew XC, it is certainly a difficult choice!

I am a bit spoiled at my local flight school however, where 152’s are $84/hr, 172’s can be had from $103/hr(172N, Steam G) to $125/hr(172SP, G1000), and we do have a PA-44 available at under $250/hr
all WET prices. Not saying it’s the best flight school in the world, you need to be very self driven and motivated to study, but the rates are reasonable and the aircraft are maintained and equipped quite nicely(every aircraft has at least a garmin 430, some have autopilot, about 3/4 have ADS/B in/out transponders so far). And in California no less, rare to find, every other school around is $20+ more per hour, some wet and some not. But I’m rambling a bit

Anyway, I think what you guys have said is well thought out advice, if you plan on instructing elsewhere go with 100ME (unless you absolutely can’t stomach the cost) and if you plan on instructing with ATP go with 40ME (unless the cost isn’t really an issue for you)
 unfortunately I just happen to find myself caught right in the middle!

James,

Those are some very good rates. Not to beat this to death but while again you’re correct that the $166 doesn’t take into account the fact you are still paying for 60hrs SE time, IF the Regional of your choice requires 100hrs ME you will need to go fly that extra 60hrs on your own. Even at $250hr that’s $15,000 out of your pocket vs the $10k up front. Yes with the $15k you are getting 60 ADDITIONAL hrs but trust me you won’t need 60 more hrs SE time AND that’s time you could easily be building while getting paid vs paying out. In my mind I’m comfortable calling the $166 a net cost :slight_smile:

Again, ATP gives you options, you make the choice.

Adam

Hey guys,

So I’m confused on what the instrument rating difference is between the 100ME and the 40ME. It says on the ATP website that the 100ME gets you the ME instrument rating , while the 40ME only gets you the SE instrument rating. Is that correct?

If that is correct, and you plan on instructing for ATP after getting the 40ME with just the SE instrument rating, what would the process be for getting your ME instrument rating so you can then instruct ME?

I hope all that makes sense :joy:

Brandon,

Yea the way they list it can be a little confusing. What they mean is you’ll earn and train for your IR in the single. When you get your ME rating you’ll already have your IR so all you need to do is a few IR approaches in the ME and you’ll have your ME IR when you get the ME rating. If you look further down the chart you’ll clearly see you’ll have all 3 Instructors ratings (CFI, CFII, MEI) which will cover every type of instruction you’ll need to do. Cool?

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

That makes perfect sense. Thanks man!

Brandon

Hello again ATP pilots

So, I’m 51 years old with a PPL and approximately 200 hours. I’ve already been approved for financing for the 100hr ATP course. I have my 1st Class Medical, completed my BFR a couple weeks ago and was told the next start date is April 10.

I plan on instructing with ATP and realize I’ll likely make it to the regionals with a highly unlikely chance to make it to the majors which I’m fine with although a small corporate job would be nice flying TBM’s or Caravans. However, after reading through the blogs I’m getting the sense I should sign up for the 40hr course vs 100hr. Or because of my age it may make sense to complete the 100hr to likely get hired quicker, is that the case or should I just enroll in the 40hr course.

Emmit,

Since you are planning on instructing for ATP then I absolutely recommend that you save your money and do the 40 hour program. You will get plenty of multi time as an instructor and will get to the airlines at the same time regardless of which program you do.

If I were to do the program right now I personally would sign up for the 40 hour program.

Chris

Thank you Chris! I appreciate your feedback.

Emmit,

Just to second Chris here. Save the money, you’ll build more than enough ME time instructing at ATP.

Adam