ATP - Envoy Cadet Program

A few weeks ago, ATP announced that they were joining Envoy’s Cadet Program. The details have now been finalized and ATP CFIs are now eligible to enroll in the program. I think that this is an incredibly exciting new program and one that I would have certainly joined if it was available when I was a CFI.

Short version:

Envoy Air Cadet Program

Envoy Air has selected ATP as a preferred training provider, offering Airline Career Pilot Program graduates a $17,100 signing bonus, which includes financial assistance during your guaranteed CFI position, plus health and travel benefits as an Envoy Air employee. Airline Career Pilot Program graduates have the fastest path to a career at American Airlines, with proven training that takes you from zero experience to Envoy in about two years, then flow-through to American in just over 5 years.

Envoy’s Cadet Instructor Financial Assistance is similar to ATP’s Tuition Reimbursement program but has the added benefits of becoming an Envoy employee which includes travel privileges for you and your immediate family on American Airlines flights; comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage; 401(k) retirement with company match contributions; American Airlines Group profit sharing; and paid vacation and sick time accrual.

Long version:

https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/envoy-air-alliance.html

4 Likes

Are they saying the flow to American will be faster than say PSA? Flowing in a little over 5 years is quick. PSA says around 7 years. And the forum for PSA said To expect closer to 10 years.

Don,

That’s what they’re “estimating”. Should be the same for PSA. Keep in mind NO ONE has a crystal ball or is offering guarantees. These are optimistic best guesses but regardless its a great deal.

Adam

Don,

That would be a question for an Envoy recruiter. That does seem a bit odd to me, but perhaps Envoy has more retirements or is growing faster. You would need to check with them.

Chris

Thanks guys. When the time comes I will touch base with the recruiters. Honestly if it is half the time to flow it would be worth commuting with Envoy.

Keep in mind that even the recruiters will only have estimates. There are just no guarantees in aviation, or in life.

If you participate in a program like this with a flow through agreement, is it still okay to apply to the other majors as soon as you meet the minimum requirements?

1 Like

Absolutely and I would recommend doing so.

1 Like

Cody,

As Chris said you can and should. I just want to point out should you accept any Tuition Reimbursement or signing bonuses from a Regional and the decide to go elsewhere you can bet they will want the money back.

Adam

I know that it may vary from place to place, but do you guys have an idea how many years you owe the regional that pays your tuition reimbursement?

Cody,

Best to check the Regional websites fine print but I’ve heard 2-3yrs on average.

Adam

Cody,

Each airline has their own terms. I don’t know what they all are, but Horizon’s is 1 year.

Tory

Thanks guys, I’ll be sure to check their websites when it gets a little closer, but that’s the range I expected.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is related or not to American Airlines Cadet Academy program that started in April. And if not, is it particularly different? I haven’t been able to find out much about AA new cadet program besides their website.

Lindsay,

They’re listed as separate programs but if you look at them side by side they seem to be very similar. I believe the only difference is the Envoy program you’ll be flying for Envoy before AA and the AA program you can chose any of AA’s Regional partners.

Adam

So that program is for kids that have a future with the majors, not for guys in their 50’s right? Have a feeling I’m gonna get shot down hard on this stupid question!:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Bradley,

Not a stupid question and I haven’t seen anything regarding age as I don’t believe they can due to discrimination laws. Thing is you do need to successfully pass the interview and airlines have a great deal of latitude in these areas (ie.“you just don’t fit our culture”) and I fear that may be where you’d be shot down. On the flip side the Regionals need pilots bad so I’m curious myself how this would go. If it were me when the time came I’d apply and see what happens? Doesn’t cost you a dime so…

Adam

Sounds great thanks Adam for being understanding I was afraid of sounding like a fool asking it! I finally got set up to fly with Aspen Flying Club, right next to ATP, for a discovery flight. But it was a no go because of thunderstorms or bad weather, so we’re gonna try again tomorrow. I got to talk to the CFI and they have a great program to only finance your hours as you fly, he thinks I might be able to get approved now because loan is so small to start the PPL program. So my plan is to start PPL and see how I do. They even have full motion simulators and I was surprised that the ATP in Centennial doesn’t?
Anyway Mike,the CFI, is 60 so I could much better relate to him as he didn’t start flying til he was 50! He was a VP in software sales made the big bucks but got tired of always traveling and working so much. This guy is outstanding with people, great guy, gave me the grand tour and 2 hours of his time! He said if I do well in the program, that their are tons of opportunities out there as early as 300 hours flight time for small paying commercial jobs, not regionals of course. Anyway, like you told me he said it’s definitely not too late for me and I could still have a great future as a pilot and then maybe I want to be a CFI or classroom instructor, after I get too old to fly commercial… he said he loves it! So it sounds like I have options I just need to get started and see how this goes. I told him everything I do even for fun, golf, piano ect requires long hours of practice and focus and I work hard it at several hours at a time and thought I might be able to learn how to "Clear the Mechanism, " and learn how to fly and focus on long hours of studying and preparation and get into that mode. But only time will tell… hopefully we’ll get to fly tomorrow morning. He said most people hit a saturation point if they’re not prepared for the rigors of the accelerated program. He believes that the military guys that are getting into commercial accelerated program, who are used to the long hours of studying and flying, are the best at this program.
Hey someone on here told me to get ginger gum for dizziness and now there is natural dramamine non drowsy formula which I’m going to try tomorrow… I didn’t even know that was out there? So just sharing that if someone is having trouble with dizziness or airsickness once in a while :+1::airplane:

Not sure many military pilots NEED to go through accelerated programs but perhaps.

Let us know how it goes Bradley.

Adam