How can I become a pilot out of highschool?

I’m currently a (mostly) straight A student in tenth grade and I want to get my airline transport pilot certificate. I know I should get a bachelors in the science of professional flight, but what else is there to it? Are there certain colleges and flight schools? How much I need to save?

Aspen,

While we always recommend getting a 4yr degree after high school, an Aviation degree is neither required or preferenced by the airlines. Aviation degrees are usually very expensive and offer no back should flying not work out for any reason. You’d be far better off getting a degree in something you enjoy or could see as a “Plan B”, and then completing your flight training with an accelerated program like ATPs.

Flight training is expensive and averages around $90k give or take. Most people take loans to cover the cost.

Please visit our FAQ section for more commonly asked questions on the process.

Adam

Aspen,

For now, enjoy high school and get good grades. Pursue some kind of college on a budget, community college for an associates or in state tuition to a state school for a bachelors. Major in something you enjoy to build a back up career just in case and get grades. You’ll bring your transcripts to future interviews, every grade in every class matters.

Save money where you can and start building credit. If you don’t have a credit card yet, getting one soon and putting just a few expenses a month and paying it off will start building you a credit score.

After you graduate, pursue flight training. At that point you’ll have the degree you need, the study habits from college to be successful in the program, a few years of credit built up and a little savings to help get you by during the 7 month program.

Hannah

1 Like

Aspen,

The best thing you can do right now is focus on getting good grades in high school. The recommendation is attending some college (does not have to be aviation specific) prior to flight training like ATP because you will have some sort of backup plan (Plan B). For example, I personally have a Bachelor’s in Business, which has nothing to do with aviation, but is a great follow-up plan if something happened.

I’m unsure of your current scenario in high school, but maybe you could find a way to acquire some money and start saving. I think more than 75% of students acquire a loan, which generally needs a cosigner. When you’re closer to applying, contacting ATP’s finance team should be of consideration. Who knows what the future holds with loans and partnerships, so that would be something to check back with… currently it is Sallie Mae. The other change could be the cost of attendance, fixed and variable costs change constantly so there are changes that may need to happen.

As always, check out the FAQs and stay around the forum over these next few years because things may change and this might be a quick way to not only interact, but find out changes.

Brady