Becoming a pilot with a Criminal offense DWAI from Marijuana

Hello,

I am 24 years old and am considering investing in a pilot training school to begin my journey in becoming a pilot. When I was 16, in 2014 I was arrested(not taken to jail, but to the hospital to get blood drawn) for a DWAI under the influence of marijuana 8.3 nano grams of thc and was convicted guilty in 2016 when I was 18. This was considered a criminal charge under the court system. It has been 8 years since I plead guilty and since then have had a clean driving record. I have learned from my mistake and have been sober from any drug or alcohol after that conviction. This was a mistake that I have learned from ever since and have used it to make myself a better person. I recently got a ticket in August of 2022 for 3 points, failure to yield, which is considered a moving violation. Do you think these two instances on my driving record would bar me or prevent me from getting a job with the major airlines or the regionals? Also, would my DWAI 8 years ago affect my ability to fly internationally as well as to Canada?

I want to make sure that there is a good chance I could obtain a job with the airlines before I invest money into the ATP flight school and begin my journey toward a pilot career. My father flies for American Airlines currently and my brother also just got a job at American Airlines, so they are my main inspiration for becoming a pilot. I have also been accepted into the American Airlines Cadet academy as well and I am determining if ATP is a better option location-wise. I appreciate your help with this.

John,

Typically if you have a clean record since and a good amount of time between you and the occurrence, you should be alright. Seems like hiring departments like the magic number of 10 years since any drug or alcohol convictions. By the time you complete your training and meet ATP mins you should right around that 10 year point.

However, I’d still recommend you reach out to prospective cadet and regional airlines. They will be able to give you a more definitive answer. They really don’t like to see substance abuse. But the best thing you can do is take full accountability of your actions and how you changed from it. Then control what you can control: have no checkride failures, quality time building, letters of recommendation, a college degree and a good GPA. All of those will help outweigh the damage of the event on an application.

Hannah

John,

I second everything Hannah says above. The only thing I’d add is know that it’s going to take jumping through a few hoops to get your FAA medical. Question 18 specifically asks about arrests, convictions etc that are drug or alcohol related while driving. Be prepared to provide as much detailed info as you have on the arrest as that will help expedite the process. If your dad and brother are pilots they should have a good AME and you’ll want to consult with them BEFORE you go for your medical.

You’ll also want to stop getting moving violations. While they’re usually not the kiss of death with a DUI clean means SQUEAKY CLEAN.

Adam

John,

I suspect that the FAA will have many questions about your past drug use and maybe put you on a monitoring program, but that you are likely to obtain a medical certificate.

Since you have inside contacts at AA, I would contact their recruiting department and ask about them hiring somebody with a record like you have.

Chris

Hi John,

Start with a disclaimer here: I am not a Lawyer, Doctor, FAA Employee, ATP Mentor or in an Airline hiring department. Anything mentioned below is my opinion alone and should not be taken be as legal or medical fact. It is your duty to independently verifying information given on your own through multiple sources.

FAA Medical: Start here to understand the process and what your role will be. There is a guide for both DUI and Drug Use. If deferred it can take a while to eventually get a 1st Class Medical. You will want to order a copy of all your court records related to that case, copy of driving history from DMV and have a typed statement regarding drug use, incident, etc (all described in link below). Consult with AME you all trust and maybe a resource like AOPA or another company that has experience getting medicals with this issue.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/abuse_dep/

Airlines: In 2018 many Regional policies were 5 years from DUI incident. There was a Regional that allowed 3 years on case by case basis. Other options are Ameriflight and some other 135 operators that still count towards working at a Major or have a form of Flow Program.

Canada: Technically Canada should have access to all USA criminal history but very little DMV data.
A DWAI/DUI is a Felony in Canada, so if it’s in their system you are inadmissible. Not allowed in = a Restricted Passport = Many Airlines and 135 Ops won’t want you.
But it seems some people get a job anyway and/or it never comes up. Your situation is unique because you were a minor. Find out if it was a criminal charge or a traffic charge (depends on the State), if it’s criminal, is it a sealed record, can it be expunged? Consult a lawyer about this.
If you are inadmissible, you can apply for a Canadian TRP and eventually a Rehabilitation Certificate. FWCanada is a source on what they are and what the process would look like https://www.canadianimmigration.net/ . Expect $5,000 for both and they are not guaranteed (Can be denied). Definitely do your research here and talk to experts.

Networking: Make as many friends and mentors as you can. The more pilots that will vouch for you as someone they trust to fly with and enjoy being in the cockpit with the better. Really work hard and earn as many Letters of Recommendation as you can.

Make sure you communicate accurately with the AME, FAA and Airlines. You were arrested and charged in 2014, convicted in 2016. Which means you plead guilty 6 years ago. Also, “since then have had a clean driving record” isn’t totally accurate because you just received a moving violation this year. I’m not being mean, this is what the FAA or an Airline Interviewer could pick at. Have your ducks in a row.

Do your research, continue to take responsibility, have your paperwork in order, don’t get any more tickets, make your resume shine in other areas and work hard once in training. Should all work out.

Good Luck,
Chris F

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for your help, I will reach out to as many regionals as I can. I will keep all of those factors in mind and try to do the best I can at controlling what I can in regard to my application. I do have a college degree in marketing, although my GPA was 2.9. I still have some things to consider before committing to ATP, but the best I can do is be accountable and transparent with my past and try to make a positive outcome from it.

1 Like

Hi Adam,

I did receive my 1st class medical just this month, even though it took months for them to defer it and make a decision. It does not have any additional requirements for me on the medical. I was upfront and transparent with what happened and made sure to outline the charge and everything that happened that day. Nothing was left out on the medical application and I even told the medical examiner about it as well. With all that being said, I do have my 1st class medical but I am just skeptical about the possibility of not getting a job as a pilot down the road after all my training. Considering I have a pristine training experience with no mistakes.
I have always been worried about that second ticket since it is a moving violation, I feel as though that ticket in addition to the DWAI will not look good. To be honest, it feels as though my best bet is just not to risk it going forward with my pilot training. The amount of money it would take to complete the ATP fast track with the chance of getting a less than stellar job opportunity or nothing at all, is frightening to me. I am confident in my abilities in flying and making the most out of my studying/training, but I don’t want to risk something like this. My main concern is not being able to fly to Canada or internationally in general when it comes time to applying to the regionals. I am also worried about passing the background check for the airport because ultimately, the major airlines would be the end goal for me. Thank you for your help and insight, I will take everything you said into consideration.

Hi Chris,

I did receive my first class medical without any written instruction to be on a monitoring program. I have reached out to someone in the recruiting department at AA and am awaiting their response. My father has asked them as well, and from what he says, it seems like they would analyze my whole body of work (considering it is optimal in terms of training outcomes) and decide what to do from there. If I am upfront and transparent about what I have learned from my mistake, I can get a career with AA. I have learned from my mistake and I just need to convey that to the recruiting department.
The only unknown is the possibility of what happened on my record being negatively analyzed by the recruiting department. They can’t tell me what is going to happen, so I just have to hope it will be a positive outcome. This unknown makes it very concerning to invest all of the time and money into the training program. I do want to thank you for your help, any help or guidance during this time will make my decision more sound.

Hi Chris,

The good news is that I did receive my 1st class medical after months of going through the deferral process. The medical is as is and does not require me to be a part of any program.
For the airline information you shared, would the same apply to a DWAI from marijuana? I am curious if an alcohol-related DUI is weighted differently than one from marijuana.
Regarding Canada, I will consider the information you shared and consult my past lawyer in relation to the nature of the DWAI. It also is good news that it may never come up, but the possibility of it coming up in the future is concerning.
I will also try and do my best to network. My father has friends who are pilots who know me and can vouch for me in this current day and age. They know me as a person and would be happy to write a letter of recommendation, as they did with my American Airlines Cadet Academy application. I was accepted into that program, so the letters of rec I provided must have helped.
I also will be totally upfront and honest about the 3-point moving violation ticket in any interaction going forward. This ticket happened after I submitted my medical request, so I could not tell them as the process already started. I have also been upfront and transparent with the American Airlines Cadet Academy as well as ATP in regards to the two tickets. Don’t worry, you are not being mean. I respect your time and honestly when replying to me. I would rather you be as honest as you can so that I can truly weigh my options before starting training.

Thank you for all of your help and information.

1 Like

John,

Let us know if there is anything other questions we can answer.

Hannah

1 Like

I’m in that similar worry. Back in 2014 I was arrested for a DWI and was convicted in 2016. I was pulled over trying to drive a buddy home in his truck after a night out and ended up getting pulled over because his tail lights were out. It was honestly just a bad situation all around trying to help someone out. Fast forward some years to now 05/23 I have received two degrees, became a middle school teacher and coach. Education is cool but I think being in the cockpit is a whole lot cooler. I’ve already received my 1st class and have recently applied to the AA cadet program. I was able to receive a letter of recommendation from a Congressman I’m also working on getting one from a retired AA pilot. I have not received any traffic violations since 2014. I’m just worried I’m going to invest all this time and money just to get nothing but debt at the end of it.

Rian,

While it def seems you’ve move forward positively from your prior experience, you seem to still think it wasn’t a big deal and you were justified “trying to help a buddy”.

DUIs are no longer an immediate no but the airlines still want to hear some remorse and an admission of some some really bad judgement. I actually have a friend at AA who’s on their interview panel. His brother was also killed by a drunk driver. If he happens to be sitting across from you, even with your congressional LOR and 2 degrees, and you offer your “trying to help a buddy story” things will not go well for you.

Adam

Yes I totally agree I was juts giving you guys a brief explanation because I’m not going to waste anyone’s time going to into depth. But I will take your advice about showing more remorse and sincerity if and when I sit in front of a panel. It was a bad decision I am not going to argue against that. I’ve been working on how I am going to have to explain myself when the question is asked on why I made such decision.