Before Flight school

Hi everyone, I had a question. I am currently attending Georgia State University in Atlanta and don’t graduate until late 2024, so about next year. And I plan to start flight school immediately after college, is there any recommendations on material that I can start looking at and studying before hand prior to attending any flight schools? Or anything other than book work I could do? Anything would help.

Thanks!

Also Akshar you don’t mention any flight experience? If that’s the case how can you possibly plan a career as a pilot if you’ve never been in the environment? Flying is unlike most other careers as there are physical aspects and frankly not everyone enjoys it. I strongly recommend you take an intro flight or lesson before you do anything else.

Adam

1 Like

I have taken a discovery flight but thats it. I didn’t want to start anything without it. Thank you that helps.

Good day!

Akshar,

You can tae the intro flight at any time. As for the rest, we recommend starting the admissions process about 9 months prior to starting flight training. During that time you can apply for financing, get your first class medical and start knocking out written exams to get ahead.

For now, focus on getting good grades! That college GPA will matter for future airline jobs.

Hannah

1 Like

Akshar,

Since you’re still in college, you should be focusing well on your grades and receiving the best possible GPA you can attain at this point. During that time, do some research as to what you can expect as a student pilot. There are things you can do to get ahead, the first would be your Airman Knowledge Test (AKT), but there is a thing of starting them “too soon.” I would recommend any AKT to start at most 9 months from starting the program as they do expire, 24 calendar months from results.

Other than finishing strong in college, keep active on the forum as things change throughout the industry. You never know what question you may have or see as you observe.

Brady

1 Like