Being a CFI at ATP or otherwise

I’m enrolling in ATP and I was looking at the cadet programs for the various airlines. I didn’t see any mention of whether it’s required that I teach at an ATP school or not as a CFI in order to be eligible for the program.

I didn’t find anything in the archives either.

Nigel,

It can vary but as a general rule, yes part of the cadet program is that you instruct at a partner school. In this case ATP. In this way the airline can monitor your progress.

Adam

Nigel,

There are some cadet programs offered to any eligible pilot and then there are specific ATP cadet programs with additional benefits.

For example, an airline has a cadet program offering mentoring, interview prep and early access to flight benefits. However, as an ATP instructor you would not only have all those things but an opportunity to earn tuition reimbursement and skip the interview. ATP works very hard to secure additional opportunities for their grads.

Hannah

1 Like

that leads to my 2nd question. I expect that after graduation, the majority of those graduates have the same idea… become a CFI at ATP. Naturally there are less spots than there are applicants. So what happens to a person when they don’t get a spot?

Is that it, game over. Too bad, so sad you’re out of the cadet program? No tuition reimbursement or skip the interview?

Nigel,

You may be surprised to know that not everyone wants to instruct for ATP. Some people have other gigs lined up and others don’t want to fly for the airlines. Also not every ATP student is offered a spot. Do poorly in training or be a “problem child” and you might be told thanks but no thanks.

For those who want one (and are deserving), as long as you’re flexible as far as location goes it’s generally not an issue. If you’re set on a location you might have to wait.

Adam

Nigel,

As the others have said, some cadet programs have specific partnership schools that you must work for in order to be eligible. Without knowing exactly what cadet program you’re looking at and asking us, is to go to the company’s website and look for their requirements.

I am here on this one with Adam, I see a some of alumni that I was in the program with now flying sky divers, aerial photography and even pipeline flying. Flexibility is important in our field; I know many instructors who start out at a location that is not their “#1” and then utilize the opportunity of transfer to “get home.”

Brady

Nigel,

If you do well in the program and are flexible with what location you get, you shouldn’t have any issues getting a position. Every day instructors are reaching their 1500 hours and moving on opening up positions for program graduates.

If you aren’t flexible, start job hunting in your own as you get close to finishing the program. You will be highly qualified with all those ratings and local schools are looking to hire. It’s up to you to decide what’s more important, getting a job where you live and sacrificing the ATP cadet program benefits or being flexible to secure them.

Hannah

Excellent. Thanks all for the advice, enlightening as per usual.