Benefit of taking the written tests early

I’ve searched the boards and I have found a lot of great information on taking the written tests prior to starting training at ATP and which courses/providers to use. I thank everyone who has contributed to those boards, y’all are awesome. I haven’t been able to find out the benefit of doing so prior to starting actual school.

Any explanation and advice and doing so will be greatly appreciated, especially since I have to get clearance from my boss, wife. She’s asking, which is legitimate, and I do not have a clear answer as to why other than I’d like to get them done prior so that I can focus more on application of the information I just learned versus having to study for exams.

T

1 Like

Thomas,

ATP compresses what usually takes years to accomplish into only 7 mos. While everyone LOVES the idea of accelerated training and getting done quickly, most don’t understand how challenging this program can be. You’ll be flying, in the sim and in the classroom daily. When you’re not training you’ll want to be studying , reviewing what you did that day, getting prepared for the next days work and hopefully getting some rest. The problem is while the FAA Written Exams are required, they really don’t follow any syllabus are for the most part are simply rote knowledge that doesn’t require context to learn. They do however require a considerable amount of study as they cover alot of information.

By completing the tests early you’re taking a big chunk of material that must be accomplished off your plate. By doing so that frees you up to focus on what’s relevant that day, week etc. It’s simply a matter of lightening you’re load and while it’s not required it’s a really good idea.

A few weeks ago I bought a new TV stand from Costco. It weighed about 120lbs. I’m a pretty strong guy so I could’ve heave hoed it up the stairs, but if I had slipped I might have hurt myself or busted it up. Instead I took it out of the box and pulled the drawers. Either way I would’ve been done but by spreading it out I reduced the potential risk AND made it much easier on myself. Make sense?

Adam

1 Like

Makes perfect sense and thank you for taking time out of your day to respond to my question. It is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Thomas,

I’ve been corrected on this many times so I just want to make sure you understand as well, but although taking the written exams before the program is wise it is by no means necessary. The program has enough time built into the syllabus to complete all of the written exams on time.

So the takeaway is do not delay your start date just to get the written exams done. If you’re start date won’t be for while anyway, then by all means. Just remember that the test results are only good for two calendar years.

Tory

Thanks Tory,

I appreciate your response and concern. I currently do not have a start date. Let’s just say I cannot apply for the financing until a project that has been pending since March closes. So until then I am hitting the gym to knock off this covid weight and want to start getting the written portions done with. I have the time right now since I am self employed and my kids start school this week. The more I can do now the better off I will be at school.

Tom

Thomas,

The benefit of completing the writtens prior to starting the program is that it is one less thing to be concerned with and to study for during the program. It will allow you to focus more on the task at hand.

That being said, the program is designed for the writtens to be completed while in the program and many people do just that. I in no way would delay a start date over this, but if you have time, it is a great thing to do early.

Once you place your deposit down with ATP, you will be provided with all of the necessary study material for the writtens.

Chris

Sounds like a good plan. Just making sure that we are setting the right tone in regards to the exams.

Tory

1 Like

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time reader who is very close to enrolling. Today, speaking to admin it was suggested I complete ~3 written exams prior to my start date and I understand the idea of memorizing the answers and minimizing the workload for practical and groundwork, but where does one learn the material? I am a true zero looking to make the career change.

Thanks!

Jon,

There are a number of study guides available but I (and others) recommend Sporty’s Study Buddy for the PAR and Sheppard Air for all the remaining exams. Sporty’s Study has a free version you can try and see if you like the format etc. Some stick with that but others upgrade to the paid version for more depth. Your call.

As for how many tests the more the better but know none are required, as they said it simply lightens the load. 1 is good, 3 is better, 6 and you’re a rockstar!

https://courses.sportys.com/training/portal/course/PRIVATE/testprep

Adam

1 Like

Jon,

It is great if you can complete any writtens prior to starting the program, but I sure would not delay my start date for such. The program is designed for the writtens to be completed during the length of the program. Doing them early is a bonus. Seniority is everything in the airlines. Do not delay a start date for written exams.

Chris

Jon,

You learn the material through ATP’s elevate videos as well as the textbook you’re provided in your supplies box. Of course your instructor will also provide in person ground lessons.

When it comes to the written exams though, you’re not looking to learn the material, just complete the test as efficiently as possible. The test prep apps are best fit for that.

Hannah

1 Like

A few months later than I had hoped, but today, I finally enrolled with a start date of March 13th! I am very excited and can not wait for this date to arrive. Thank you everyone for all the answers, advice and overall support you provide to this community.

Now the fun starts!

Jon,

I am glad to hear that. Have you been working on the writtens these past few months? Where do you stand on that?

Thank you for the update and please ask us any questions you may have.

Chris

Jon,

Congratulations on the start date in March! Have you completed any of the writtens since your last update? Looking forward to hearing about your journey and experience.

Brady

Chris and Brady,

I have not. My welcome package arrived today and I’m logging into Sportys for the first time. Now the work/fun really begins! Thank you for your support and I will be sure to keep everyone updated throughout my journey!

-Jon

(Is it March 13th yet?!?)

Jon,

It’ll be March 13th before you know it, please let us know how things are going. :sunglasses:

Brady