Best online prep? what order should you take your writtens?

Hi, so this is kind of two questions in one. I’m thinking about trying to get the writtens out of the way before I begin with atp so can anyone recommend a good online program? I’ve looked into kings school and Sheppard air, anyone know which is better or if there’s a better option? I’ve also read around that you could take certain test back to back as they cover the same materials. also that there are optional test that aren’t required but might as well take since they cover the same material. can anyone list the tests both required and optional in the best order to take them from zero time? Thank you.

1 Like

When you set your start date with atp you will receive training materials as well as a subscription to all required online study guides for each test through Sheppard air. I think they require you to use sportys study buddy for private and then Sheppard air from there on (not sure I am credit for private, but I did use sportys when I did my private).
The required tests are: private, instrument, instrument instructor, commercial, instructor airplane, and fundamentals of instructing.
The optional tests are: instrument ground instructor and advanced ground instructor. these will be at your own expense.
Take the private alone. Then take instrument, instrument instructor, and instrument ground instructor together. Next, take commercial. Next, take flight instructor airplane and advanced ground instructor. Finally take fundamentals of instructing.

Side note: when taking the advanced ground instructor, you can pay $10 out of pocket to Sheppard air and they send you the additional questions that will be on the AGI that aren’t on the FIA.

1 Like

Forgot another cool incentive. If you finish the private, instrument, commercial knowledge exams before your start date you get a free year of ForeFlight basic.

1 Like

thanks for the reply, however I’m trying to get a head start before I start my journey with atp. I’m working on getting a cosigner then ill be good to go but that might take a while so I was hoping to get the ball rolling on my own time.

If you choose to do it that way, remember that all of the tests and study programs will be additional out of pocket expenses. ATP only reimburses you for testing if you have already set a start date.

Michael,

Remember that the writtens have a two year expiration on them. It is great to get a head start, but don’t get so much of one that your writtens expire and you end up needing to take them again.

Chris

Michael,

There really is no “best” order but traditionally most people take the exams in the order they’d do the training. PPL, Instrument, CPL, and finally the instructor exams. As Chris said they all have expiration dates so you want to be mindful of that. All the instrument exams are the same test bank so you’d want to do the IRA (Instr Rating Airplane) with the FII (Flt Instrct Instr Airplane). As for optional I always recommend the AGI (Advanced Ground Instructor) which is the same test as the FIA (Flight Instructor Airplane). With the AGI you can get your Ground Instructor Cert from the FAA and then use that to get your Gold Seal which looks good on your resume.

Adam

This was written by Adam in a previous post that I saved,

PAR: Private Pilot Airplane
IRA: Instrument Rating Airplane
CFII: Flt Instructor Instrument
CAX: Commercial Pilot Airplane
FIA: Flt Instructor Airplane
FOI: Fundamentals of Instruction
*The instrument exams should be taken at the same time as they use the same test bank of questions

Optional:
AGI - Advanced Ground Instructor
IGI - Instrument Ground Instructor

1 Like

Hey Michael,

I used/ am using the King courses. It is an extra cost but you will have a better understanding of the material by using it instead of trying to memorize the answers to the questions. Much easier to read the books and watch the videos and KNOW and UNDERSTAND the material. Will make your life easier later also. Made 98% on both Private and Instrument (took today) tests.

so you have two years to get your check ride done or do you have to take the test every two years?

congratulations on the 98! are you currently a student at ATP?

You have two years from the day you take the written to take the corresponding checkride. Once you have passed the checkrides you never have to take the exams again.

Start in Nashville March 13 with credit for private. I previously attended Mesa Airlines Pilot Development Program in the summer of 2001(Thing of the past) until 9/11. I had a young family at the time and couldn’t/wouldn’t go in debt $70K with no hope of a job because of all the fall-out from 9/11. Kids are grown and time to get back on track!!!

Wow! This is a long time coming! Congrats on hanging in there.

Adam

Yes sir it is, and thanks! After I left the program I got caught up in a job (Con-Way freight, now IPO) that paid very well with good benefits and that is hard to walk away from until you actually do it, then wonder why you didn’t do it years sooner! I’m 41 and not getting any younger.

James I completely understand.

I got my PPL in my 20s but never did anything with it. Got wrapped up in the restaurant business and finally started at ATP at 39. I was a VERY difficult decision and many questioned my sanity (including me) but as soon as I started training I knew I made the right choice. You actually have the advantage of starting in what is possibly the best time in history and that should give you more confidence.

Keep us posted.

Adam

I just finished my private and the Prepware app is much more accurate than the Sporty’s app. Also, you may want to buy the supplement with all of the illustrations and charts because it’s much easier to measure and answer the questions. Not to mention you’re going to be handed one of the books to use during your exam.
https://www.amazon.com/FAA-Computer-Testing-Supplement-Recreational/dp/B00JEJX4VK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488327574&sr=8-1&keywords=private+pilot+test+supplement

2 Likes

Doesn’t a Flight Instructor have to sign the student off to take the written exams?

Yes, however once enrolled at ATP you will have access to their ground school/prep software, after completion and having passed several practice tests with appropriate scores they can send you a test authorization. Also if you’re trying to get ahead before even applying to ATP or any training program, ground school programs like Sportys or King will provide a written authorization upon completion of some number of acceptable practice tests.

If you search the forum there are several references to these programs and how the written exam sign-offs work, I believe there is also a page on the ATP website related to completing writtens before starting but you might have to look for it a bit.

James

2 Likes

Just want to go slightly off topic for a minute. There have been many comments made on this forum (by myself included) regarding getting the writtens out of the way and their lack of relevance. To some extent that’s true as much of the material is dated, simply doesn’t really follow training or is somewhat obscure (like CFR #s). There is one thing I’d like you to keep in mind. When you go for you’re practical (aka checkride) your examine will see your score. A good friend of mine is actually on of the examiners ATP uses and we’ve had this conversation. While all checkrides are intended to be standard the fact is the examiner actually has quite a bit of discretion, particularly when it comes to the oral. Literally the examiner could ask you 1 single question or have you write a thesis on Bernoulli. While the examiners are trained to not “prejudge” the fact is if you show up with a score of 80% (the bare minimum) it’s says something the same way 100% does. What I’m saying is while the wriitens don’t receive as much focus as other elements you should, as with all things, aspire to do your best.

Adam

2 Likes