Career Change advice!

Hey guys my name is Chad and I’ve been around aviation my whole life. my dad is currently a pilot at UPS and worked his way up the long way. I’ve been in the oilfield last 12 years and want to follow my passion of being a pilot. I’m 32 and almost done with my private. I live in Alaska and I’m surprised I’ve never heard of ATP until recently but I have a question I’d like multiple inputs from other than my dad alone, everyone has different experiences ya know. I want to persue flying in the majors and I know going to ATP is going to be the fastest route however I don’t want a lack of college to prevent me from moving up in the future. At my age and the current industry need for pilots would attending ATP be the smartest move? I’ve been doing a ton of research and can relocate anywhere. Currently still working in the oilfield so I would like to knock out as many ratings as I can. I started college for ATC back in 2004 but got an oilfield job and the money was great, young and easily satisfied. Any input would be appreciated, positive or negative.

Thanks, Chad.

Chad,

Not sure exactly what you’re asking? You’re 32 which is nowhere near old but as your dad can tell you seniority is everything in this industry. As you said ATP is your fastest route and you’re also correct that not having a degree could affect you getting to a Major.

If you’re asking then if you should go to an aviation university that of course is your call but know that it’ll add a good 3yrs till you get to a Regional. If you go ATP you could be at a Regional in about 2yrs but then the onus is on you to finish your education while working as a pilot which can be a challenge.

These are decisions only you can make and they have to made based on an honest assessment of your abilities and level of discipline.

Adam

Thanks for the reply that’s exactly what I was looking for. I could go to a local school like ATP and fly part 35 for several different outfits here pretty quickly, probably build hours a lot faster than CFI. A lot of decisions to make that only I can make you’re correct, was just looking for input, I appreciate it.

Chad,

At 32 you are not old, but you certainly are not young either and you are behind the curve on getting into the industry, which means you need the fastest path possible to the airlines.

I would recommend an accelerated program like ATP’s to get you to the regionals as soon as possible. You say that you do not want your lack of a degree to hold you back, then you should plan on getting a degree. The good news is that you should be able to do this while you are flying for the regional airlines.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that’s great feedback and what I was looking for!!