Career Path an advantage?

Dear Pilots and Students,

I would like to know that is it better if you go to a regional that has a flow or career path program to a major of your goal to be at OR fly any regional of choice and apply outside of the flow thru or career path slot?

For Example: The Aviate program with United Airlines is offered thru Mesa, Expressjet, CommutAir, and Air Wisconsin. If someone wants to fly for United eventually do they have to go through the Aviate program and does it give an advantage over some other applicant who is not coming from Aviate?

Thank You!

Manpreet Singh

Manpreet,

I am not the biggest fan of flow through agreements, but with that being said, they have gained in importance. I have heard that almost all of American’s new hires come through their for through programs and I suspect that United will soon start going that way. So yes, it does seem to be advantageous to get yourself signed up for a flow through, but you can always apply outside of the program as well.

Chris

1 Like

Manpreet,

Today’s flows do seem better than those in the past due to the need. That said no you do not have to go through the Aviate or any other program to get get hired.

You seem to ask many questions about flows and getting to the airlines which is great. I’m just curious if you’ve started your flight training yet as all of this is academic if you never do.

Adam

1 Like

Chris,

I assume it’s better to apply just to have an opportunity to flow in the future but as you said you can apply outside as well too so it might help. I believe American has a flow through agreement with Envoy with an average time of 5-6 years but again there’s no guarantees in this industry. I’ll look more into it. Thanks for the reply!

Manpreet Singh

Adam,

I was just concerned that do career path programs have a better or let’s say significant advantage over independent pilots? As you said they are better than before so I guess it’s better to join a regional that gives a career path program.

I have not yet started training because I’ve heard ATP requires full time commitment so I want to finish my bachelors and then fully Focus on flying. Also, trying to save up as much as I can to avoid large loan debts.

Manpreet