CFI Academy

I’m set to start CFI Academy grounds this week and then have been assigned the Jacksonville (CRG) location for the flight location. Does anyone have any advice that could be helpful for CFI academy and if anyone did there’s at Jacksonville how was your experience there? Thanks!

Logan,

I have CFI Orientation this upcoming Thursday! Curious, when did they let you know what location you are going to and which location are you from?

Thanks,

Devan

Devan,

They will let you know a few minutes into your orientation on Thursday. There is a PowerPoint slide that has everyone listed under which location you will be going to. I am out of JVY (Louisville,KY). It appeared that the students who were relatively close to a CFI location got assigned there.

Logan,

Thank you for the information! And gotcha, I’m from the HFY location (Indianapolis, IN) so not far from you at all. Good Luck with CFI academy!

Devan

Logan,

I did my CFI training at LZU back in 2019. All grounds was done in 2 weeks and it still was a challenge keeping up. I would advise getting started on making your lesson plans asap. You should have one for every topic in the PTS by the time you get to your check ride in order to be prepared for anything. This will require a lot of time along with the daily studying and chair flying required once you get to the flight phase.

Hannah

Logan,

The CFI Intial oral is by far the toughest in my opinion because pretty much EVERYTHING is fair game. You need to review ALL your notes from throughout the program.

Adam

Logan,

Like Hannah, I attended LZU, but in 2020. One thing that really helped not only myself, but classmates was getting together ALL the time and practicing. Thankfully there was a newer student that was rooming with one of our classmates and we were able to get together and teach a topic with a mediator to ensure we weren’t going off topic or saying the wrong things.

While flying from the right seat may seem terrifying at first, it will take time to ‘master’ the art of flying from that seat. They aren’t expecting you to be “perfect,” however, you should be within standards and showcase safe, proficient and standardized flying.

Be familiar with the PTS and everything that you are going to be expected of teaching. I believe off the top of my head, there are 8 items you must teach and 1 from specific categories, etc. (which is normally up to the examiner).

Most importantly, have fun, ask questions, and take time to yourself when you need. It is a challenge which is where sometimes it weens out those that aren’t meant for instructing versus those that put their head down and grind through the challenge.

Brady

Thanks guys for your responses and advice. I am happy to say that after 6 weeks from the start of grounds and a month in Jacksonville I’m a CFI!

2 Likes

Congrats Logan!

You now have the means to build those hours AND get paid for it!

Adam

1 Like

Congratulations Logan!

The CFI is the hardest ride you’ll take. You should be proud. Stay focused, just a few more to go!

Hannah

1 Like

Logan,

Congrats on the CFI ticket! I bet you are living it up right now, only a few more checkrides to go and you’ll be on your way to the next milestone/goal.

What is your outlook after completing ATP’s ACPP? Are you planning on instructing with them afterwards if given an opportunity?

Brady

1 Like