Checkride Failure

Hello. I just failed my private pilot checkride. Everything was perfect but I went 5 knots over va on my steep turns. How will this affect my future career as a pilot. After how many failures do airlines start turning away applicants. Will this come back to haunt me or will it be alright as long as I use it as a learning experience.

Brock,

While it’s obviously not a good thing, def not the end of the world (or your career but clearly not something you want to make a habit of). Short answer 1 or 2 you’re fine. 3, you’re still probably fine but it will come up in an interview so you want your story straight. 4+ can become an issue.

Most important thing is to shake it off and move forward. Don’t like the way you feel right now? Work harder and try and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Adam

1 Like

Brock,

As long as you use it as a learning experience and do not have many more checkride failures, I don’t see this being a big issue. No failures are great, but it seems like two or less is the new standard of acceptability.

Try not to let it get you down, learn from it and move on.

Chris

Brock,

It’s just one and it was on a technicality. You have many more opportunities to demonstrate that this is not a recurring issue. Learn from it and focus on the next one.

That said, were you aware of the maneuver tolerances? I ask because a lot of students don’t take the time to memorize them. I’m sure you will from here on out.

Tory

question for you guys. What about CFI checkride failures? Do you guys feel like the airlines count those against you as well?

Allen,

If it was your CFI check ride failure, yes. If it was your student’s failure, then no.

Tory

I got a little confused. Not to blame my instructor because I still should have known better but a week or so ago I was doing a stage check with the chief instructor. I was doing 90 knots on my steep turns and he stopped me showed me the poh that the maneuvering speed was 105 and that since 105 is the maneuvering speed that’s what I should use. My main instructor showed me another page in the poh after my checkride that says the steep turns should be done at 95 knots. I feel like I was misinformed but I still should’ve known better

Absolutely they count. A failure is a failure.

Maneuvering speed is the max speed that maneuvers should be flown at, not a target speed. I have to say, it sounds like both you and your instructors need to review this.

1 Like

Yeah I definitely know what it is now

Allen,

Why wouldn’t they?

Adam