Choosing a location - Should weather be a factor?

I know the program is supposed to be 9 months, but how does it work if you live in an area where the weather isn’t so great and you might not be able to fly very often? Weather in Virginia is anything but predictable, and it’s not exactly Florida… We get storms, snow, low visibility conditions, low ceiling etc. Is it limited by 9 months or does it automatically extend at no extra cost to you if you can’t fly due to weather not cooperating.

Also, if the conditions are appropriate (IFR), can you do instrument rating training without foggles? Or is it commonly done in clear weather using foggles?

My apologies if this was previously discussed.

1 Like

Efe,

Adam and I actually both trained in Virginia, so you are asking the right people. Sure, the Virginia weather is not as ideal as some other places, but there are plenty of nice flying days throughout the year to accomplish what needs to be done. Keep in mind that not everyday involves flying, some are simulator or ground instruction days and those can be easily switched around with flying days if need be. The program is build to accommodate weather delays, it really shouldn’t be a factor no matter where you train. Now, if for some reason weather did push you past the nine month mark, you would continue in the program until you finished.

In actual IMC conditions, you will train without foggles, but most of your training will be in IMC and thus with the use of a view limiting device.

Chris

Efe,

Florida and the Gulf states get thunderstorms, Midwest gets tornados, the North gets snow, no matter where you train they’ll be good days and bad. Again ATP has been doing what they’re doing for a long time and if any location’s weather was that unfavorable that it impacted training significantly they wouldn’t be there. Pick the location that works best for you.

Adam

1 Like