College Degrees and Regionals

Good afternoon all,
I’m currently an ATP student fresh out of my crew phase. After high school I did a couple years of college debt free but struggled finding anything I cared about. I pulled good grades but couldn’t find a bachelor’s to go towards. Now, in ATP, I’m trying to think about the future. I am pretty set on going to the airlines and am currently targeting the Envoy-American route. I know the majors require a 4 year degree and I’m pretty sure the regionals don’t. Please immediately correct me if I’m wrong. My main question is, how competitive would I look walking into an Envoy (or any regional) interview with nothing but a diploma and some college hours? I have the hours and classes to scrape together a liberal arts associate’s but that just seems a little… embarrassing. Would that make me any more or less competitive? And then, if I decide to start paying for online college as an ATP CFI, how much more competitive would I look with a bachelor’s? I could not find any educational requirements for Envoy coming from ATP. While I also couldn’t find any educational requirements for American after flowing through from Envoy, I’m sure they’re there and I would plan on completing online school while flying for Envoy. I read everywhere on how what you major in doesn’t really matter but the thought of being looked at as someone who went after a 2 year liberal arts degree seems like an easy way to bust an interview.

I am on track with ATP and haven’t failed a written or either of my two checkrides if that helps my case at all.

Thanks in advance,
Austin

Austin,

The Regionals don’t require, or even prefer a degree, period. They’re looking for qualified well trained pilots and that is all. However, once you decide to move on the degree will be come very important. The good news is with the college credits you have plus your licenses and ratings you should be able to bang one out in short order.

Adam

1 Like

Austin,
You’d be fine getting on with Envoy or any other regional for that matter. It’s the majors that require the bachelors degree. Since you do have some credits already, I’d work on finishing that up in the next few years will you’re time building or at the regionals. Just make sure you have it by the time your nearing your 1000 Captain time and wanting to interview at the majors. Sure with the flow to American you could slide in without it. However it’s a huge risk to rely on that slim chance. Flow programs are not something to bank on.

-Hannah

2 Likes

Austin,

The regionals do not require a degree at all. Now of course it would be great to have one, but you will be fine without one. I would not work on a degree while being an instructor, I do not think you will have the time for that. As soon as you get to the regionals, I would start working on a degree as you will most certainly need one for the majors (AA flow excluded).

Chris

1 Like

Austin,

I’m not at a major yet, but I do have a 4yr liberal arts degree. I’m not embarrassed to have it and neither should you. I really enjoyed studying interpersonal communication and I could argue that my degree is being put to good use by being a Mentor on this forum :face_with_monocle::wink:

Tory

3 Likes

Perfect and timely responses from all of you, thanks for the help.

1 Like