Color Deficiency in Airline Pilots

I am an aspiring airline pilot. I am at the very beginning of what I hope to one day be a career as an airline pilot. I have 20/20 vision and am in excellent physical shape. I am currently looking into scheduling my AME test and I know that I am mildly color deficient. I know that I will likely fail the Ishara test as online tests I typically do poorly on as I have trouble distinguishing the red and green hues in the plates. However, with alternate tests such as the Farnsworth Lantern test I pass with a 100% score. Is it possible to obtain a Class 1 Medical and pursue an Airline Pilot career when I struggle with the Ishara test?
Thank you,
Max

Max,

It is but since you know you will fail the standard test, it’s to to you to be proactive. I’d contact your AME, have a consultation and see what they recommend, rather than go in and fail.

Adam

1 Like

Max,

You may initially get a medical with a color restriction. Then there are ways to do alternative tests to remove that restriction. Check out the article below.

Hannah

1 Like

Max,

As the others have said, it is best to speak with your AME before hand and let them know you will most likely have an issue with the color plates. There are other ways to pass, but it is a process and will take some time.

Chris

1 Like