Complex/HP Endorsements and XCs

Hey gang,

Just a little bit of curiosity about the ACPP.

At what point in the program do students get their high performance and complex endorsements, and what type of aircraft are they done on?

Also in regards to the crew style cross-countries, and this might be a little difficult to articulate, but is the role of PIC alternated between the two pilots, so that they can both get their time? or is it just an instructor that we fly with?

Mitchell,

You get both your HP and your Complex flying the Seminole when you earn you MulitEngine rating as the Seminole qualifies as both.

The FARs state that as long as one pilot is under the hood, and the other pilot acts as a “safety pilot”, both can log the time as PIC. From the AOPA:
PIC time may be logged because FAR 61.51(e)(1)(iii) allows certificated pilots to log PIC when acting as PIC of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required by the regulations (91.109[b]) under which the flight is conducted. A safety pilot is required for "hood work."

Adam

Mitchell,

Adam is right except ATP does not offer an HP endorsement; only complex.
The Seminole’s engines are only 180 hp, each. There is no need for a high
performance endorsement anyway. All of the regional airlines will pay for
your type and ATP rating.

Tory

My bad, it’s been a while. As Tory said, no need for an HP endorsement anyway.

Adam

1 Like

Huh, thats interesting that an HP endorsement isn’t required/given. I would have figured moving up the ladder to a HP aircraft would be part of the process as it gives one the experience of moving on to more powerful aircraft.

Mitchell,

You’d think, but it isn’t. I never bothered to get one on my own time
either. Doing just fine without it.

Tory