Private pilot cross country written

Hey all,
So I’m studying for my private pilot written exam, and Im having a very hard time understanding and grasping the cross countries “calculating the effects of the wind”. I actually don’t know where to being, I have the flight computer provided by ATP along with the plotter, however I’m just not understanding how to use it in problems. Any help or suggestions would be great thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Earv,

The wind effects/corrections are fairly straight forward. Not sure what computer your using but the I’m sure it’s a version of the standard E6-B and you simply need to input the data. Could you be more specific?

Adam

This short video helped me ALOT when I was in your shoes and confused. Watch a few times and then do the calculations over and over on ones you know so you get a feel for it. Also there is an electronic one you can use on the test offered by sportys that I used and it is allowed on the test. It is whatever your comfortable with but watch youtube videos to find one that clicks with your mind and I promise once you click it will be easy.

1 Like

While I believe every pilot should be able to use the old school slide rule E6-B, electronic is acceptable and approved for use on all the FAA writtens. No need to invest in a stand alone computer, there are a TON of E6-B apps available for both iPhone and Android.

Adam

Although only the stand-alone will be permitted into the testing center to take the test. You will not be able to take your phone into the test with you.

Yarden

Good point Yarden. It’s been a while :slight_smile:

Adam

Started reading this thread and started to think about the fact that i’ve been using an electronic e6b for years now (CX-2 Pathfinder.) My main motive in doing this was to simplify some of the FAA written exams. It saved me a ton of time and was a big reason I was able to complete them all in a few weeks. However, I did read something stating ATP students will need to have a manual e6b. I did begin my PPL training with the manual, but the electronic e6b saved me TONS of time. My check ride examiner was more than happy to allow it for the test. I’m just wondering if my electronic “certified” e6b is acceptable to ATP. It did cost almost $80 lol :slight_smile:

My isntructor told me that some check airmen would make you use a real e6b, using the reasoning that if for some reason your digital one stopped working you need to know how to use the real one. He said he had a student that the examiner asked to see it and pulled the batteries out and said “you batteries died what do you do now?” And made him use the regular e6b. Digital ones are nice and lesson the workload substantitlaly. But I think he point is you need to know how to use the slider.

Jonah,

Your electronic E6B will be fine. That being said, I would always carry a traditional E6B and know how to use it, you never know when you might need it.

Chris

Jonah,

Some examiners do have a personal beef with electronic e6b’s. There was one in PHX that always asked for the calculator at the beginning of the checkride and just took out the batteries, then asked “what do you do now?” (expecting you to pull out your backup regular e6b). Many times, the student would not know how to use it and fail the checkride…bottom line, know how to use both types.

Yarden

1 Like