Electronic E6B vs Manual

Hey Everybody, looking for some input here. I’m scheduled to start training at IWA in August, so I’m using the time between now and then to try to knock out my written tests. I was curious if it is recommended to utilize the manual E6B during training/studying vs an electronic one? I’ve been using the manual one while studying for my PAR exam (taking it in 2 weeks), but was thinking about purchasing an electronic one from Sporty’s that is currently on sale. Thanks for your thoughts.

Brad,

You will receive differing answers on this question. I say it’s optional. Others say it’s a must. I am/was able to make calculations in the airplane with rules of thumb and the 60 to 1 rule and a calculator. Would I have been able to use an electronic e6b instead? Of course. Is it necessary? I still think that is debatable.

Tory

Brad,

I am a big fan of the electronic ones. I would still learn how to use the old one to be on the safe side, but make your life easier (and more accurate) by getting an electronic one.

Chris

1 Like

More accurate on the micro level, perhaps. I should rephrase. It’s a handy tool. If you have the money, buy it. You should know how to navigate without it though.

Tory

Brad,
I’m also of the opinion that it’s optional. I didn’t get one or ever use one during my training and it didn’t hurt me at all. However if you have the money and want one, by all means. It will help make the writtens easier and computations more exact.

-Hannah

Brad,

If you can work the whiz wheel kudos to you but I’m just a lazy pilot and a HUGE fan of the e versions. Pilot motto “don’t work harder work smarter”.

Adam

3 Likes

Confession time: I was never very good at the manual E6B.

There, I said it.

6 Likes

The truth comes out! Lol

3 Likes

Whoop there it is!! @Chris

-Hannah

2 Likes

Like everyone said - it’ll depend. Mostly on the instructor. I didn’t allow my students to use electronic. I preferred they became pros at the “hard way” since anyone can punch numbers into a calculator. You never know what an examiner will want to see and you don’t want to be fumbling or lost if you don’t happen to have electronic available. Much similar to my opinion on learning instrument in a 6 pack vs. glass. But totally subjective!

2 Likes

I will throw in my 2 cents for what it’s worth. Use the Rotary Slide Rule (E6B) thru your Private Phase. This seemed to give me a better understanding of what we were trying to solve and the various relationships. During Instrument Phase I switched to electronic and was able to calculate many “what if” scenarios quickly. You also become much more comfortable/conservative with your estimates because of the inaccuracies of the manual E6B. None of the DPE’s I had after Private had any problem with electronic, just make sure you remain proficient with the manual if needed. Ed

1 Like

I enjoyed learning how to do the manual, like Ed said…it’s a great way to get the understanding. For exam purposes and further on in flying, the electronic E6B is the way to go, it simplifies the way of calculations. I used the Sporty’s E6B Flight Computer (which is the on-sale one) for all my exams and calculations that I did during my training. I know ASA CX-3 Flight Computer makes a more expensive version that does more complex things like calculating hold entries etc., but you’ll learn to do those during the ground portion of instrument training.

Brady

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

Brad,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

I was able to answer 9 Sporty’s questions by just figuring it out on my own. I still don’t know how to solve the 10th one with the manual e6b.

Find the density altitude of an airport with a field elevation of 843’, an air temperature of 7º Celsius, and a barometric pressure of 29.83”.

David,

Neither do (or did) I. Hence why I use the E-E6B :grinning:

Adam